jazz sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mclaud, Jan 11, 2001.

1. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon

i have some dificulty in seting up my amp equalization for a jazz sound. i play in a "all kind of rock" band and now i want a mor jazzy sounf but i don't seem to get that sound. i have a yamaha bass, a quad VI and 441 Pro cabinet (warwick).

2. Welcome to Talkbass McLaud!

Your post leaves much to the imagination.

What do you think a "jazz" sound is? And what kind of "jazz" are we talking about? I know of Bebop, Dixieland, Avant Garde, Fusion, Acid and probably a couple of others that I can't remember right now. Who would you say has the sound that you are looking for?

If you can describe the sound, I bet someone around here can give you a tip on how to achieve it.
  3. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    A commonly used method of getting a jazz-kind of sound is by playing over the closest pickup to the bridge, with only that pickup "open". A bit of singing sound, and it's just in fusion-music by lots of players.

To get a jazz-type of sound, I usually have both pickups open and play close to the neck, where the strings feel the most soft...if you play very softly, you get a mellow kind of sound, with lots of low sounds to it.
    But I don't know what kind of pickups your bass have...

Do you play with a pick? Usually, jazz players play with their fingers...this might sound childish, but I'm just guessing on your playing situation.

Good luck finding the sound!
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    When you say "jazz sound," are you wanting to sound like an upright, or do you want an electric jazz sound?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If we are talking about a round, warm, smooth jazz/newer "traditional" jazz sound-

First of all, I think you can rule out your amp. That is a super amp, IMO, and as the catalog says, "The epitome of a system for fretless basses." The only exception would be is if you have it set for a lot of punch and high edge, plus hard lows, favored by rock bassists.

Then, the bass - It's alder, which is a warm. sweet wood, tone wise. However, (my opinion), Yamahas are rock application basses, way more so than for jazz. I don't know which kind of pickups it has. I know they are humbuckers, but if they are ceramic or Alnico II's we're talking bright and punchy, in my experience. The preamp is a major player in getting the sound you want. Niels' suggestions are essential for getting a jazz sound.

Also, strings. For the type of jazz I mentioned, I would think flatwounds are the way to go. For fusion, a la Stanley Clarke, roundwounds are my choice.

If you are serious about getting this jazz sound you want, and you are happy with your equipment for your rock band, the solution that may be a combination of effectivenes with least cost is a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver or a DOD Bass 30 Processor, which offers 9 fretless bass simulations and bass amp modeling among its other capabilities.

Let us know if you get what you're after.