Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Special or P-Bass Special..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, Jun 28, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    Does anybody know why some basses are called "Jazz Specials" while the exact same basses are sometimes called "P-Bass Specials ?:confused: Its the exact same bass,and depending on what year it is will decide what its called(either jazz or p-bass special).it seems only to be the Japanese made Fenders that do this,anyone know why its done like this ? Its not because of the active models,those were called "Powersound" basses,the salesman G.C.tried this one on me,but i knew better.;) its not all that important but its been bugging me for some time now, and here is the only place i figured would get me the answer:D

2. Because they figure if it has the word "Special" in it more people will buy it for more money cuz their dumb and dont realize its the same bass ;) ~ Tyler

3. i have a P bass special..californian series..amxn
    it seems special to me regarding the body and neck configuration and the use of P/J pups
    it says made in usa....i think its of the 1996-1998 era only...:)

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Here are the differences I have noticed,

All of The Jazz Bass Specials seem to have the P-bass style bodies with no pickguard, with P-J pickups. I'm guessing that they all have jazz necks. I've seen ebay listings for the Power Jazz specials which look to be active and have the split coil reversed. See Auction Here

The P-Bass specials also have the P-body with a pickguard, and P-J pickups. I'm not sure if all of these have a Jazz neck either. There seems to be several varities of these as well, like the American Made California Special, and the regular MIM P-Bass Special. Also aren't the American Hot Rod P-basses the same as the California P-Special as well.

GS

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    G.S hit it on the head,i did some reaserch and all the Jazz specials were a p-bass body,P/J pick-ups and no p/gaurd.while the P-Bass special was a p-bass body,P/J pick-ups,and a pick gaurd.These were the basses i was referring to,and newbassplayer that was the most imbecillic answer i have yet to read today.A NICKEL'S WORTH OF FREE ADVICE "it is better to be silent and be thought of as a fool,then to open your mouth and remove all doubt":D LOL !!:mad:

6. LMFAO! Thanks for the FREE advice...I was just bored, sounded like a good answer at the time, and hell...could of been in some other case, but not this one :D ~ Tyler

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    its OK.Its what i expect from someone who plays an Ibanez GSR200 :D LMFAO !!..... all kidding aside its cool,I make smart a$$ comments all the time.:cool:

8. Haha, my GSR200 has been good to me, hopefully getting a Fender Jazz V soon, but not to replace the GSR200, but to move it to the backup bass. ~ Tyler