Jazz Standard Pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 11, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Could I swap out the stock Jazz pickups and put Bartolinis in with a passive/active preamp such as a J Retro, Aguilar or Bartolini?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah. They are usually the same size. But the preamp might need more room for the battery and more electronics.
  3. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks, yea I dont want to cut any holes into the bass it might fit, anyone try this configuration? :confused:
  4. The J retro usually fits perfectly (battery and all) in the standard Fender jazzes. Check out the site http://www.j-retro.co.uk/ for info on installation. The bartolinis, just make sure you get the correct sized ones and they'll be fine. No alterations needed really, just soldering (or get it installed at a music store...well...even a radio shack im sure)..

5. it depends on the jazz. is it mexican-made? if so, you may have a problem, but not a big one.

at some point (2000? someone help me out here) the mexican fender jazz bridge pickup went from being the same length as the neck pickup to slightly longer, like on the american-made jazzes. most replacement jazz pickups include two different length pickups by default. you may be able to order a set of two neck pickups but maybe not.

My MIM jazz is from 96/97 (can't remember) and both pickups were the same length. i bought a set of emg-j pickups, and as expected, the bridge pickup was too long for the rout. i just took a rasp and started lengthening the rout. i took a small chip out of the laquer on the top of the bass, but that was because i got impatient and was trying to remove material on both the upstroke and downstroke, and i used the coarser rasp to remove the wood faster. if you use a finer rasp, and take off material pushind down rather than pulling up, it's not a big job at all, and not hard to keep the rout square and looking nice.

or you could take it to a luthier who would do the same thing.
  6. What he said. If it's newer you can just drop them in. Easy to find out by measuring them.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Bart bridge Jazzes come in standard and a long version for Fenders. I'm guessing other manufacturers are similar. But for Barts, you're covered either way. But I now on my Ibe GSR's I had to take out a stronge 1/16" on the Jazz pup in a PJ basses to fit a set of Barts and pretty much any other jazz pup I've picked up.

I just used a drill motor and a small bit and held it with pressure to the edge of the routing until I removed just enough for the pup to slip in. You can do it to where it's barely noticeable if at all. If you do so, just make sure to throw masking tape over the face just in case you screw up.