1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz standards with electric bass?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by srayb, Oct 2, 2013.

1. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd like some help finding recordings of electric bass players doing instrumental jazz standards. Most recordings have upright players. I'm starting to play jazz standards in a trio and play electric fretted 6-string bass, and I am finding it hard to pick up and incorporate upright techniques and styles, and think I would progress a lot quicker if I heard what other electric bass players do.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

2. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Todd Johnson. He plays a 6 as well.Wonderful ,swing ,inside sounding player. You could likely sing everything he plays. (that's a very good thing IMHO) He might even have a forum here.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bob Cranshaw with Sonny Rollins, Charles Ables with Shirley Horn

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sensual-Saxophone-Romantic-Grooving-Fretless/dp/B004N51S1S/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1380731423&sr=1-4

It's a little on the "smooth jazz" side and the bass is fretless (primarily why I bought it originally) but standards they are...

My Funny Valentine
    In A Sentimental Mood
    Stella By Starlight
    Satin Doll
    Georgia On My Mind
    Summertime
    The Night Has A Thousand Eyes
    Autumn In New York
    Moon River
    Here's That Rainy Day
    Green Dolphin Street
    Send In The Clowns

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tyrone Brown played EB with Pat Martino on these 2 albums-
    Consciousness..."Impressions" is the 1st tune; "Along Came Betty" (Benny Golson) is also on this album. When I 1st heard this album (1976), I thought it was URB.
    Desperado..."Oleo" (Sonny Rollins).

Check out Monk Montgomery w/ Kenny Burrell.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jeff Berlin's last two albums and the hard to find 'Standards Zone' with Jaco.

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I just got 'Standards Zone' as an MP3 download via Amazon so it's pretty easy to find these days...

A lot of stuff I had thought was impossible to find is slowly being (re-)released in digital form. Even stuff that was impossible to find just a couple of years ago. So: keep checking back! Just because it was nowhere to be found the last time you looked - it might be somewhere now !

I can't say Standards Zone is my favorite Jaco, but I'm glad to have it in my collection and playlist.

8. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Also check out Playjazznow.com for great backing tracks and charts for bass.

9. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    I always liked Alex Blake with Manhattan Transfer

His walking line on "Four Brothers" is really REALLY good

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Not necessarily in the vein of standards, but a lot of big-bands traveled with electric bass in later years: Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, Dizzy Gillespie... Lots of material on YouTube.

Some cool soloing here:

11. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

12. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    There are ton's of Electric players playing standards out there.
    Damien Erskine
    Michael Manring - Check out the McGill Manring Stevens albums
    Gary Willis
    Jaco
    Stanley Clarke
    Victor Bailey
    Victor Wooten
    Dario Deidda
    Pippo Matino
    John Patitucci
    Mark Egan - Especially the Unit 1 album there are others too
    Hadrien Feraud
    Mike Dimin
    Alain Caron

The list goes on forever... There is plenty out there to find.

13. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    My favorite rendition of Take The "A" Train:

This is definitely not bass guitar trying to sound like double bass.

FWIW,

Jim

14. Good call. That's a really nice album, Egan's playing is great, and it's a good recording of the bass so you can clearly hear what he's playing.

15. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Steve Swallow yet, heck he wrote a number of the tunes in the Real books it seems and he exclusively plays electric, with a pick no less.

16. EJTBass

EJTBass

Jan 28, 2013
    Brooklyn
    Steve Swallow!

17. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Steve Swallow is interesting because he had a full on career as a jazz double bassist when he switched to bass guitar. The other player that comes to mind who did this is the great Max Bennett, founding member of the LA Express.

Jim

18. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Jaco Pastorius did a wonderful rendition of Days of Wine and Roses on a Brian Melvin album called Standards Zone. It was Jaco's last recording in fact. People say Jaco was not playing well later in his career, but he played beautifully on this song. I think it may also be recorded on a fretted instrument. He was in Amsterdam at the time, as I recall. Well worth a listen if you can find the CD.

Jim

19. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree - now that you mention it, I remember watching a live concert on TV of John Scofield with Steve Swallow. In my opinion, Steve was the star of the show. I was amazed by his fluid improvising. The greats always make it look easy. Thanks for the youtube links.