1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Standards

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iville18, Jul 13, 2014.

1. iville18

iville18

Jul 13, 2014
    Im going to a music camp and was told that i'll need to audition by playing a jazz standard. What are jazz standards and where could i find them?

2. Do they mean a Fender Jazz Bass? Standard jazz basses are basically the Mexican made Fenders.

You can get them used for around $250-400 on CL or online. They're more expensive at the store brand new though.

Try renting one.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    RichSnyder and Savage_Dreams like this.
  4. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    hahaha seriously, you play bass?

5. Jefff

Jefff

Aug 14, 2013
    Chicago
    Learn Stardust and Cherokee.

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Not very nice - he's obviously a youngin' just getting started.

PaulieBe and nukes_da_bass like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For bass, So What or Night in Tunesia would be choices. The bass the a main line in the tunes.

8. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Man! What a tough crowd!

[​IMG]

=========================================

OP, contact the camp for some suggestions.

However, over and over, I see these tunes on MANY audition lists:

Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker) - this is an F Blues.

Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) - this is a Bb Blues.

Straight, No Chaser (Thelonious Monk) - this is an F Blues.

You could learn some simple "Latin" tunes such as:

Blue Bossa (Kenny Dorham) - usually in C Minor

Song for My Father (Horace Silver) - usually in F Minor

ALL of these (music and recordings), are easily found on youtube and the internet.

EVERYONE should know these five tunes!

Some auditions may ask you to play a transcribed solo, such as something by Paul Chambers. These are available in various books.

If you do not already know how to walk a blues or play latin, you better quickly get with a jazz bass teacher.

Do some research and know a few of the important jazz bassists from the last 60 years or so. AND LISTEN TO THEM PLAY!

Jazz is more about playing in the moment. It takes a LOT of experience and a deep understanding of the language with a large vocabulary, to do this. Of course, expert reading skills are essential.

You are not going to learn how to play jazz in a few weeks, more like a few decades (if you work at it 6-8 hours a day).

You do NOT need to show up and play Teen Town or Donna Lee. No one is any longer impressed with these (my then 11 year-old son could play Teen Town on electric bass).

Good luck!

9. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    amazing, sir

well done

10. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Jazz standard is the common term for song from the Jazz canon. Instead of starting by trying to learn only particular tunes, learn the most common/important forms in addition to the seminal tunes.

Jazz Blues
    Rhythm Changes
    Stella By Starlight
    Cherokee
    ii-V-I cycles (Tune up, etc.)
    All the Things You Are

If you learn these forms you should be much better equipped to tackle Jazz standards when you read them off a chart.

I agree with everything before this....but
    Expert reading skills are not essential, nor are a few decades to learn how to play jazz. Granted, expert reading skills help, and decades of practice help too. Don't be intimidated. Learn the vocabulary, be familiar with your fret board, learn how to read a chord chart, know your scales/arpeggios.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    nukes_da_bass and iville18 like this.
  11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I wasn't saying that one shouldn't start playing jazz with the first step. There is no other way. All journeys require the first step.

But, it is highly unlikely that one will fully understand (the theoretical goal) - or at least have a sizable grasp - after just a few weeks. Hopefully the desire will be ignited, though.

Reading will ALWAYS put one into an elite level - never doubt that. Expert improvisational skills will elevate one even further.

It takes years to learn even just a large English-language vocabulary and develop the ability to use it effectively.

Rosetta Stone won't get one there. Neither will two weeks at Jazz Camp.

OP, learn the tunes I listed. Stella by Starlight comes later. Rhythm Changes (i.e., I Got Rhythm, Oleo, Flintstones Theme, a million others) would also be a good idea.

12. basschanges

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I think we agree. I just didn't want him to be intimidated. It's hard to learn to play over changes, and I think the OP will face many times where he will wonder why he isn't "getting it" sooner. I don't doubt the importance of reading, but reading itself isn't required for learning how to play jazz. Most important is the vocab and the application of theory. And you're right, Stella comes later. :)

13. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    FIRE THE JAZZ CANNON

basschanges likes this.
  14. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Try canon. Put that extra N in and you have a big gun.

basschanges and joebar like this.
  15. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    yes jazz you win-
    that one went over the fence to tie up the game.:thumbsup:

16. basschanges

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Hahahahah. Good one. :)

17. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I think we corrupted you in OT.

18. You absolutely NEED to get "The Real Book." 5th or 6th edition. It is the jazz standard bible. Learn "All the things you are" (ATTYA) a good place to start. There are countless wonderful tunes within the RB .
    Jazz standards are a body of tunes frequently played by jazz musicians. The tunes are usually from the "Great American Song Book" (think Misty) or show tunes from the 20's to 60's (My favorite things) or tunes written by jazz musicians. (think 'Round Midnight or Night in Tunisia).
    The term Jazz standards in your context has nothing to do with the instrument you happen to be playing (IE: a jazz bass or other hardware). Get the Real Book and you will use it for decades...You will learn theory. You will enjoy. You will understand. You will be satisfied and light years ahead of your peers.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't know any of those tunes.