1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cubinicano, May 3, 2010.

1. cubinicano

cubinicano

Jul 28, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    im looking to get some heavy gauge jazz strings .. anyone know of any??

2. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I don't know what one could consider a strictly jazz string. Different strings can work well in a variety of different situations. Jaco used rounds in jazz and fusion. Steve Harris uses flatwounds for metal. Hmmm...a heavy guage string that could be used in a jazz setting. For the limited amount of jazz that I play I use Fender Nylon Tapewound 9120's. They are very low tension and they run from .58-.110. They are very dark and thumpy sounding with just a tad bit of brightness. They are a roundwound string that is wrapped in a black nylon coating that is smooth like a flatwound. I use them on my fretless J bass. I like the way that they sound and they don't tear up my rosewood fingerboard. They're cheap and they last a long time, as in years because they don't have grooves in them that allow oil and other crud from your finger to get into like a roundwound string does. They're the only bass strings from Fender that I like. So, if prefer a low tension string then these may be just the ticket for you.