Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz-style 5'ers that gots the Jazz sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigbajo60, Sep 20, 2004.

1. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Now that I've got the old amp rig halfway to where I want it to be, I'm in a quandary. :confused:

I'm hearing lots of detail now out of the pair of Acme Low B2's I'm running. My Ernie Ball Stingray 5 sounds nice... but through the rig I can tell how "mid-heavy" and "dirty" it sounds in comparison to my Fender MIA 75 Jazz RI.

My question to all of you is, if it's a "true Jazz bass" sound I want in a 5 string format, which makers' product would you whole-heartedly recommend?

At the moment, I seem to be leaning towards a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 because I can get it with a passive eq, but please... feel free to point me in the "right" direction!

:D

2. Since the "jazz" sound is traditionally reproduced by a combination of pickup placement and scale length, you really have tons of options as many luthiers make basses that comply with the Fender standard.

I would start with a Fender 5. You can probably find a good one if you're willing to look. Past that, I can personally recommend Sadowsky as it is my standard for a Jazz bass. I have never played a better instrument. I also play thru Acmes and am always impressed with how "right" the Sadowsky sounds.

There are many other fine jazz style basses. Finding THE jazz that suits you is a personal quest that you may find more difficult than you imagine. But, what a fun quest it is!

Good luck!
    Jeff

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm with Jeff on this. My Sadowsky (Vintage5) is the closest to a J sound that I've heard. Plus you get all the goodies that Roger builds into his basses like incredible playability, virtually flawless fit and finish, consistancy, a powerhouse preamp, killer looks. The list goes on.

I had a wonderful Lakland 55-63 that just didn't nail the J-tone like my Sadowsky.

just my humble opinion!

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think my passive Fender USA Jazz V has a bigtime Jazz sound. I'd recommend one.

5. I recently had the chance to check out a Lakland US Joe Osborn 5, and would recommend checking one out if you can. Sounds like an early '60s Jazz, plus a B string that sounds and feels great. It is a passive bass with amazing output. I've added one to my wish list for the not so far distant future.

6. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I think one of these would fit the bill for you.

[​IMG]

Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz V QMT

7. I highly recommend the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 String (I own two). You'll get the traditional passive Jazz Bass sound and a lot more with the mini toggle coil selector switches. The pickups are located in the traditional jazz bass positions. It's arguably the best passive 5 by Fender. I love mine.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1. (Actually, +2 because I also own two. :D )

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Ever tried a G&L switched to single coil? Pretty close to j bass, lots of other tonal options, and they play awesome...

10. Sadowsky does it best, in my opinion. If you like an aggressive vintage jazz tone, nothing can beat an ash/maple Sadowsky with single coils.

Aloha,

Jonathan

11. I agree. I just got one of these and I am really enjoying it. :)

[​IMG]

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Thanx for your replies to this point!

What I'm doing is putting together a "shopping list" in order to make my search more efficient.

When I do go finally go out to score my new bass, I want to try as many of your recomended instruments as possible to see if they offer the sound, feel and quality that I'm looking for. Then I'll scope the prices out, too. :D

Thanx again for the suggestions so far! Keep 'em coming!

13. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  14. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I saw that the "Swami" had an Atelier Z jazz-style 5er posted over at the Bass Palace last week... (gone now)... looked nice! (Active, but nice ;) )

Anyone out there have any hands-on time with one of these?

Any truth to the story that those very same Atelier Z folks are now responsible for the Sadowsky Tokyo line?