Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Style 5's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Konquest, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I want to start by saying that I have already done a search, and turned up lots of info.

I am currently scoping out some Jazz style 5 strings and wondered what people are playing and if you could give me any advice. I am looking for a fiver based on a fender jazz, with 3/4" spacing and preferrably an active preamp. It would also have to be under $1500. Here is what I have seen around:

-New Lakland Skyline JoBo5 with J-retro installed
    -Used Pedulla J-5
    -Used Sadowsky Metro (hard to find)
    -Used Lull MV5

I guess my question is this, for people who have played or
    own(ed) more than one of these: Would I be better off pulling the trigger on the *NEW* Lakland w/ J-retro, or scouring the used market for one of the others? I guess as a secondary question, does anyone have one of the above for sale?

Thanks for all your help.

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    You can also add the Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5 to the list. I have one coming in the first batch, which should be a few weeks away. I believe you can get these with a J-Retro as an option.

The KSD jazz 5's would be on the lower side of the price range.

I've had two Lull M5V's and can give a definite recommendation. Used, they are around $1200-1300.

The Pedulla Rapture J25 is a nice bass, but the least like a traditional jazz to me.

The Modulus Genesis 5 is another possible entry.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

check out www.valentibasses.com :cool:
    he has a very nice five string bass listed on his site .
    zebrawood bass looks sweet !!
    highly recommended and respected around Talk Bass ...
    edit : also listed on GEAR MARKETPLACE

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Seconded. I have no idea why these basses get overlooked so often. WAY underrated. See 'em going well under $1500 used all the time.

5. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advice guys, keep the ideas coming!

I had not heard about the Daryl Jones fiver...who did you order it from? I would be VERY interested in this model since I am a big fan of their block inlays and matching headstocks. Please PM me or let me know where you are getting this from!

6. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA

Steve "Dude" Barr over at the Dudepit is selling them.

7. Great basses !!! I played with a D J 4 And loved it so if the 5 is even close :bassist:

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I play a custom made five string jazz buit I would also recomend the JO5 or the DJ5 and Steve "Dude" Barr is a great guy to buy from.

9. I'd say a Sadowsky around that price would do the trick. The Darryl Jones Laklands are really nice basses, too. Heck, they're all good. But I'd say the DJ Lakland is much better than the Skylines, at least the ones I've played. Skylines are great, but you might as well go all the way and get a DJ or Sad or Lull or something.

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    MTD SARATOGA 5. Check the for sale forum.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The DJ's are Skylines, aren't they?

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

All nice instuments. Sadowsky is head and shoulders over the others, IMO. Preamp kills

Rob

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I also recomend a Valenti bass. :D

14. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Lull 5-string basses are not 3/4" spacing.

15. You have enough to go custom. Mine is passive but in a 36" scale so it sounds big. Other modern things include hipshot ultra light w/extender on B to low A (or whatever you want), graphite reinforced truss rod scale. Back of neck is satin finish for comfort. Lots of ways to interpret a Jazz 5. I just picked out the modern things that I wanted and Michael Dolan built it.

The longer scale also looks better, since it preserves some of the sleekness in lines you had with the '62. vintage 5's tend to lose sex appeal if the neck comes out too stubby looking.
    http://www.talkbass.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1151&password=0&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

But given the choices, either the imported Laklands or Sads. If the one you really want has a wait list, so be it. Get what you really want.

16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sadowsky if you can find one. Also see if you can find a Pulcinella J bass. I don't think Matt's making them anymore but I know there are some out there. You can check his website. He resells his basses from time to time.
    Sanch

17. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Angelopb, Do you have problems finding strings to fit that scale length?

18. I do have trouble, because I can't just walk in any music store and expect to buy a set. Rotosound swingbass 66 "extra long scale" are fairly easy to get w/o ordering.

But I always order strings anyway 'cuz it's cheaper. With Thomasitks, I am having trouble finding the low B. I ordered the Jazz rounds wounds, and they don't make a low B in "super long scale." They sent me a free set of of TI super alloys to try out and give a review. The Low B on that was too long- doesn't taper until about 39". The B winding peg is very close to the nut on all basses. So the old Rotosound is still on there.

In a way, buying stings is actually easier because you don't have to worry about so many choices.

I played it last night at Fortunato's in St. Pete and some guy who buys and sells J basses offerred to buy it on the spot.

19. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    is it just me? or does noone consider fender anymore?... try out some of their higher end 5-bangers....good stuff