Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ladros2, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Ok, I have a MIM, (or is it an MIM) jazz on order, and want some modding. I'm getting a Gotoh 201 Bridge, Badasses are hard to come by here, a Tusq nut, and a black, three ply scratch plate. Any other suggestions?

I was thinking of a thumbrest, any I don't need to drill for? And I once read something about a simple alteration to the neck pocket that makes a noticable difference.

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Pickups. I put them in my MIA Jazz and man, what a difference they made.

Lots of pickup choices out there, though so YMMV - I'm just not a fan of the stock pickups at all.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Shouldn't you play it first and make sure it isn't what you're looking for. I was quite certain the point of modifying a bass is to get the sound you want... I could be wrong though.

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    I know I want to change the bridge, because every MIM bridge I've come across has had easily movable saddles. i need something more solid. I pefer Tusq to plastic nuts, and the plate is an aesthetic thing. I feel a thumbrest would be practical, and the neck pocket alteration can improve solidity, as far as I know, which can never be a bad thing.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yes but every bass is different one MIM is rarely exactly like another MIM. Just my $.02

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    As you've asked...

'an' if the following word starts with a vowel aeiou.

7. And sometimes 'y' :D

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    actually not Y.. only aeiou. use "a" in front of "y" .. "I saw an yak?" ... I don't think so. "it's an yahoo based website" Not so good.

9. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    But it would be AN em-ih-em (MIM), or A made in mexico.

10. I know, I was just kidding. It was 230 in the morning when I posted that, and I at least found it a little funny:D

11. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

It's better to use that rule phonetically, not by the spelling alone.

For example:

An hour. Hour starts with an 'h', not a vowel, but you still use "an" because it sounds like "our" (note the vowel).

So, in the case of MIM, you would write "An MIM", because the letter M sounds like "em" (again, note the vowel).

Hurray for grammar!

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yes but if you are going strictly by the book. You should use "An" only before aeiou .. even though at times "an" sounds better.

13. if you have problems with a stock bridge moving on you, perhaps you should work on you're technique, first. then worry about "moding" out the bass.
    Hooray for spellin' in you're local dialect, ya'll. lol
    :cool:

14. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Good point, the 'h' in hour is silent and I would definitely use "an hour" as you pronounce the 'o' first. However the 'M' in M.I.M is'nt silent and when referring to a M.I.M you dont say "emim" and anyway M.I.M is an acronym so who knows what rules apply!:D
    Isn't english grammar wonderful? I'd hate to learn english as a second language and its multitude of idiosyncratic foibles.
    Now I'm just being pompous so I'll shut up.;)