Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Tablature

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jan 22, 2005.

1. I've been looking around for some good Jazz Tablature, can anyone recommend some good ones? I'm specifically looking at Michael Bublé bass lines, as they seem to differ from the origionals and seem slightly easier for a beginning/aspiring jazz bassist.

2. Jazz tabs... I would suggest that you rather look for lead sheets and sheet music. (I would say something like "Jazz tabs... you must be kidding" but I think I shouldn't in this forum... oops already did)

For example some of these: http://www.electricbass.ch/songs/songs_show_category.php?kat=4

Or check out some of these links:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=lead+sheets&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

EDIT: If you absolutely need tabs, mysongbook.com has quite a few jazz tabs, but of course they are for Guitar Pro

3. thanks man, i now know why tabs arent the best source for jazz, whoops!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the thing to remember is that generally in Jazz, bass lines are improvised and non-repetitive - so it's OK to study what others have done, of course - but the idea is to make up your own bass lines, either by ear or based on a chord chart/lead sheet.

5. where would be the best place to start learning how to improvise like that?

6. kuri

kuri

Jan 26, 2005
    jaco pastorius is a jazz/fusion bassist that i recomment you check out. you can go to ebay or any place like amazon and look up jaco pastorius tab books. very good stuff to learn some jazz bass. he definately changed the course of electric bass. if you have not heard about him or of him, please give him a chance. i don't think you'll regret it. i know there are at least 3 jaco pastorius tab books out there and all of them are precise and very good to learn. good luck!!!

7. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY