Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz tabs with a good swing?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by NonSense121, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone got some jazz tabs that got a good swing? I'd luv to get somethin that makes other ppl tap their foot. Something they want to hear over again. Thnx for w/e you give

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Aaarghh... must stop ....NO ----Oh I can't help myself! ;)

Alright then I'll say it - despite my better judgement which tells me I should just ignore this - so how can Tabs which have no rhythmic information, convey swing?

Also - Jazz bass lines are more than 90% improvised, so tab won't help with that!

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Beg borrow steal or download stuff from Glen Miller and/or Benny Goodman which are my personal favourites. Listen for the changes and just play along.

It dont mean a thing if it aint got no swing.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Unfortunatly, NonSense, you probably won't be finding any jazz tabs. Bruce is right- most of jazz is improvised, meaning that everytime you hear a song played (live) it will be different. If you want to start constructing your own walking bass lines that can swing, check out the General Insruction forum, as well as this thread by Chris Fitzgerald.

There ain't no fakin' jazz. ;)

5. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    You can find some jazz tabs at visionmusic.com.
    Also, if you buy TablEdit, you can import any good jazz midi and get it to write the tab out for you.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    "good jazz midi" wow :rolleyes: that's as good as "Tabs that swing!"

BLINKY

7. * sigh *

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But it is true! ;)

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Why should it be so hard to find jazz tabs? We have jazz sheet music, with parts written out note-for-note, so...

Tabs are made from recordings. Some songs may never sound the same way twice, but a recording always does.

By the way, I have tried to use TablEdit before (granted, this was a very early version, about five years ago) and it was horrible. Maybe it has gotten better since then?

As for the other... haven't you guys read the Tab forum rules?

10. Yeah i agree..

Sorry, NonSense121.. but apparantly the kids don't know when to quit, so i'm forced to shut it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.