Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Tabs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basstime, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basstime

basstime

Jun 24, 2001
    Anyone know where to find jazz tabs on the internet?

Also looking for Clapton's "Reptile" cd tabs
    thanks

2. There's no need for them. Actually, I've found Jaco ones, which is jazz, but it's not like most jazz that's improvised from chord charts on the spot, so that's why they could be tabbed; they're probably on this site. But if you're looking for tabs to standard jazz tunes, then good luck.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - as Ulyanov mentions - the whole point of Jazz is that it is basically and improvised form of music. In more than 90% of cases the bassplayer is improvising a bass line, based on his/her knowledge of functional harmony and the chord charts. You cannot tab that.

OK you could transcribe a solo or bassline, but to repeat this in performance would be missing the point big time. It is interesting to study transcribed lines and see what the artist has done, but Jazz players will do this with lines from other instruments - for example, Sax players like Charlie Parker and you can't tab Sax! :rolleyes:

4. basstime

basstime

Jun 24, 2001
    riiight...
    I meant jazz "standards"
    please forgive my insolence

phew, tough group!

thanks

ps how about "Reptile" songs

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    How about ear training, standard notation, or just a little hard work?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK - here's a link to a "real book" online that you can print out :

http://www.multimania.com/realbookonline/real-book.htm

It's not a question of being tough, but rather of trying to explain why you are very unlikely to find Jazz tabs on the net.

7. basstime

basstime

Jun 24, 2001
    Bruce
    Thanks for the helpful response. I'll try that site. Just started taking lessons and wanted to find some place where I could look into older "jazz" standards to learn along with my lessons.
    Glad to see not everyone is so hostile on this site!

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Some people might have noticed that a few messages were deleted. They were the ones that were a reaction to a post by someone who was unnecessarily abrasive. The handle this person chose was very incongruous with the position they were advocating, so we must have a troublemaker in our midst. Of course, new members don't know who is who and can walk away with the wrong impression. If you see a post by someone who is being a provocateur with no apparent reason (especially if they registered recently) report the post to the forum's moderator.

There are other threads on this subject and I feel this particular one was answered, so I'm going to close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.