Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz teachers in vegas

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RazorSpeakers, Jun 28, 2004.

1. RazorSpeakers

RazorSpeakers

May 28, 2004
    does anyone know of any bass teachers in las vegas who would be willing to teach me? if not, is there a good jazz book that teaches techniques pretty well?

2. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
  3. RazorSpeakers

RazorSpeakers

May 28, 2004
    thanks radi8, that was very helpful.

4. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Hey I'm a bass player in Vegas named Caleb Salgado. I've taken a couple lessons with Geoff Neuman. He's good, but Chris Davis is another good one. If you want the ultimate teacher you have to look Tom Warrington up. He teaches at the University and is the s***. What's you name? I might have seen you around

5. RazorSpeakers

RazorSpeakers

May 28, 2004
    you know caleb thats funny because we went to elementary school together and we both play the bass. my names andrew greve and we were in gate together, but i dont know if we had any of the same teachers. but yea, geoff is pretty cool, he was my lvyo conductor last year. but i will look up tom and talk to him, thanks.

6. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Hey Andrew. I remember now. I would suggest lessons with Geoff. He's a good player and a cool guy. Tom is really hard to get in touch with because he's a studio musician in LA. He teaches at the University on Mon., Tues. and Wed., but to college students. He's pretty booked usually. I've been trying to get a lesson with him for a couple months. :meh:

Do you play jazz on DB and EB? Good Luck.
    Yours Truly,
    caleb

7. RazorSpeakers

RazorSpeakers

May 28, 2004
    i play on both, but mostly on db. ill give geoff a call. thanks alot.

8. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    Thats cool. I'm glad you do both. It's pretty fun. What high school doy ou go to? and what grade are you in?

Yours Truly
    Caleb

9. RazorSpeakers

RazorSpeakers

May 28, 2004
    i go to foothill and ill be in 11th next year. what about you?

10. Hey Y'all,

I realize its bad form to raise old threads. But figured it was ok here...cos I know a couple of cats have been asking the same question in PM's.

Who is teaching bass these days in Vegas? Seems like all the good ones I heard about are going. I am an EB player.

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Darryl Williams taught at Guitar Center on trop for years before they changed location & unfortunately it looks like the new location at Town Square does not host teaching. He is a blazing funk player as well as a skilled jazz musician. He is mostly based out of California but plays in Vegas a few times a month. Watching him play live is a lesson in itself & he has a new jazz CD out. Here is a link to his site:

http://www.darrylwilliamsmusic.com/home.html

And a youtube clip of him noodling at NAMM:

Good luck!

12. Thanks for the info Mike!

EVERYONE raves about Darryl, I hope I can get together with him. I seem to recall having difficulty contacting him last time. Seems like he is travelling a fair bit. Great player

13. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Yep - he can suck all the notes out of a seven-stringer like few others. PM me with your info & I'll get it to him.