Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz technique

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Cort45, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Cort45

Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    hello,

I have been playing electric bass in high school jazz band for about a year and have recently started messing around on an upright. But I'm not sure if I'm using the proper technique. Can anyone recommend a book, website, ect. for good jazz technique?

Thanks...

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Get some lessons...I don't mean that in a condescending way since I thought the same as yu when I started playing DB after playing electric for years. But believe me, a teacher is the key.

3. Perplexer

Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
    I've had my DB for two months after years of eltric guitar and bass and have had two lessons. I make leaps and bounds with my intonation, tone and technique after each one, I'd say it's really improtant. The BG knowledge will be good for the theory aspect but that's about it.

4. For what it's worth, technique is technique. Every so-called "classical" lesson I ever had made me a better jazz player.
    Books, websites, and videos don't tell you when you're doing it wrong. They're just as able to lull you to into reinforcing your mistaken understanding of an aspect so that it becomes an unshakeable habit.