Jazz to Joe Osborn converts - comments wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Dec 29, 2005.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Hi Guys:

I've been a Fender Jazz player for many years and currently play an original '66. I'm considering adding a Joe Osborn Lakland (possibly Skyline) and would like to hear from guys that have made the same decision. I do know that I prefer passive basses and I also need to have a smaller (thinner) neck, and my understanding is that the JO has the same width and thickness as a Jazz. I would benefit from knowing some of the other similarities/differences as well.

Thanks, Tony Noriega, Tampa
  2. appler

appler Guest

I play a borrowed original seventies-era jazz bass on an almost-daily basis and I own a Skyline Joe Osborn. To me, the Lakland is a bit brighter tonally but it still has that Fender vibe. According to the website, Lakland had Joe Osborn's 1960 jazz in mind when they designed this bass and I think they did an excellent job. The neck of my Lakland feels thinner to my hands than that of the seventies Fender that I'm familiar with. I don't know if it affects the tone of the instrument but Lakland necks have graphite reinforcement bars (except for the Skyline four string model). I own a Skyline fiver and I don't hear a difference. The Skylines are manufactured to the same specs as the U.S. models, so the choice of which to get is yours. You really can't go wrong with a Lakland, though. Good luck!
  3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I've owned several Jazzes and a couple of "A" neck P-basses, and I am definitely a Lakland convert. I currently have a Skyline JO 4 string and I just sold a Skyline Bob Glaub with the jazz taper neck...and the only reason I sold the Glaub is I have a Dude Pit Special Edition Glaub on order, which will have the 1.5 inch nut as well. For me the big thing is how the Lakland neck feels. While both the Fender and Lakland necks are "skinny" because of the 1.5" nut, the Fenders are definitely chunkier. The feel and finish of the Lakland works much better for me. I've always loved my Fenders, but the Laklands are what's working for me now. Even though I have to admit, my favorite neck is still on my EBMM Sterling. That neck is a work of art.....