1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz tunes to learning the language of jazz..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cire113, Oct 31, 2010.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Ive been starting to learn jazz... All by ear...

Ive been playing Rhythm changes, Blues, Autumn Leaves, for about 5-6 months now.. Ive learned alot from these tunes believe it or not

What are other TEXTBOOK jazz songs for learning the language? Can anyone point out a couple more songs that are not only standards but help me understand the whole "jazz" vocabulary and language like rhythm changes and blues has..

I cant believe how many jazz songs are based on rhythm changes or blues its crazy

Thank you

2. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    Stella by Starlight thru all 12 keys will keep you busy for a minute or so.

3. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    One thing I LOVE is "jazz" or "jazzy" versions of songs you already know. Some Christmas tunes are great that way. The melodies (for some) are reasonably well-known, and there are some versions of these songs which have some interesting/jazz/jazzy chords underneath. Seeking out such material is a nice way to dip your toe into some potentially jazzy/jazz waters.

4. Bassguy87564

Bassguy87564

Jul 5, 2006
    NJ
    Some day My prince will come
    Just friends (starts on the IV chord and can helps with II-V's)
    All the Things you are (can helps with II-V's)
    Blue in Green(this is a good tune for altered scales)
    But the only thing is learn the tunes from recording and what not