Jazz v Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Fender American Jazz Bass

22 vote(s)
  2. Fender American Deluse Jazz Bass

17 vote(s)
  1. I'm seriously considering getting an American Jazz bass. I played the two at guitar center side by side, and wasn't really sure of which one to buy.

Anything I should know about this? Would You get the one with the active electronics? Assuming price is not an issue (the difference is negligable)
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Jazz Bass gets my vote bigtime. I love the sound of my Jazz V. I personally prefer passive electronics and genuine single coil pickups, that's just a personal thing. :) If you like active and a mode modern tone the deluxe is a better bass. Keep in mind the original is "The Classic Fender Jazz Bass". The Deluxe is not.

And look at some of the Made In Japan signature instruments and reissues as well, they are really good.
  3. ctorre

Feb 18, 2002
    USA, Seattle, WA
    I agree. The American Standard Jazz is a solid bass and certainly nails that oh-so loved Jazz tone (Fender invented that tone, remember, since they invented the Jazz bass...)

A few things that I don't like about my 1997 American Standard 4-string:

1)There is routing under the pickguard, so you can't take the pick guard off unless you want to expose the routing channels for all to see... I think this really sucks, but oh well. The bass sounds great.

2)You have to string the the bass through the body. The bridge does not offer an alternative. You would need to replace the bridge with one that can be strung either way. String-through increases tension on the strings, making them stiffer, and the tone is better just through the bridge in my opinion. String-through design is overated....

4. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    American Jazz all the way. I A/B 'd an American Deluxe and an American Standard and the Standard wond hands down. Ballsey and the pre on the deluxe stinks.
  5. I prefer string through bodies...hmmm, i guess to each his/her own...:) :p
  6. I agree...

You can always make it a "way better" deluxe jazz bass if you can put a J-Retro in it.

With a J-Retro and good alder or ash body, schaller tuners, good fretwork...you got yourself a really good bass!
  7. When I bought my Jazz, I could have gotten the deluxe but I found that I liked the feel and sound of the AM STD better so I bought one. I don't particularly like the body style of the deluxe although I do like the electronics. I don't think the preamp stinks at all. I think the original 4 pole piece PUs sound better than the noiseless ones. Don't get me wrong, I like the deluxe it's a fine bass, the AM STD was just more my bag. I like the string through, but I'd like to have the option of just going through the bridge.........Uh oh, feels like it might soon be project time :D
  8. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I had a mia standard jazz sold it for a jazz deluxe and was sorry. I went back to the standard jazz. I found active electronics (particularly fender active) wasn't for me. It doesn't mean a Stingray isn't a great bass but of your choice go with the standard J.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    very interesting responses because i just bout an american deluxe ( the older one with 9 volt, but its going back for one with 18 volts) and i dont think the preamp stinks at all- im nailing the growl and the bottom end is full nand sweet and very Fender- i think it sounds great- i better try some standards by what im reading-
    of course, ive been away from fenders for 23 years - so im new to this again.
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I like my MIA Deluxe J better than the passive MIA J. Otoh, I like the passive MIA P better than the MIA Deluxe P, if that makes any sense.
  11. this is a 60's jazz :) :D :bassist: and it gets my vote. my second bass and all time favorite. beautiful colors too.
  12. Lol, it's been a year, and I got a Musicman. :p
  13. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I like the mim deluxe, I bought the 5 string on sale for $479.00 with fender deluxe gig bag. I played the mia 5 string jazz, and liked the mim better.
    The string threw body works good on a p-bass,
    but i did not like the sound on the j-bass. It is a great bass for the money, sounds great, and very high quality. I was told the mim have a very rigorous
    quality inspection. The mia had nicer tuners, and
    graphite reinforced neck. But since 1998 i have only had the truss rod adjusted once, and no problems at all with the tuners, actually I think the
    mim tuners make the neck a little less top heavy.
    :) You may want to look at the mim deluxe, and play one, you never know you may like it and there always going on sale. The candy apple red is a cool color also.
  14. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Get the Jazz. Fender has never had super-awesome active electronics. If you decide that you want to add something active to the Jazz, then you have a plethora of options, most of which sound better then Fender's standard active circuits.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hint for Dan and NV43345: Take a look at the dates and read Davy's posts.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a American Deluxe V.....and I love it! I like the neck/ pickups / preamp...everything!
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ive been thumpin' away at one for a while today and i love it, too-
    thick slap sound, growl for days- the only thing im not diggin is thge ground noise when i take my hands oss- this one was a little beat up for "mint"- so im trying a new one - hopefully this time it WILL be the 18 volt new one- :rolleyes:
  18. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I was assuming that other people might be facing a similar dilemma.
  19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've had mine for five years.....same opinon;)