Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Videos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by VTDB, Mar 12, 2006.

1. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
  2. Tomasito

Tomasito

Feb 7, 2005
    Wow, cool site! Thanks for sharing :)

Edit: Is Mingus taking a bathroom break in A Train?:ninja:

Another edit: Re: The Charlie Parker vid: I love his expression during Buddy's solo! And the little nod he does at Coleman Hawkins right at the beginning, as if to say 'He's a bit good isn't he?'

I'll stop editing now, and just absorb the brilliance of our jazz forefathers! Thanks again VTDB

3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Thanks, V-

Just watched the Parker video.Wow, his playing looked so effortless. Looks nicely restored and great seeing/hearing Ray w/the big bass along with the Mrs. AND a young Buddy Rich. You could sense the "attitude" even then. Can't wait to get into the rest of them. Well worth the time to check out.

Ike

4. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I like how they keep zooming in on Lester Young's canvas shoes while he's playing.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Great link, V....thank you so much. Made my day.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check around the site, there's the Miles quintet in 66 doing FOOTPRINTS, Trane with DOLPHY doing EVERYTIME WE SAY GOODBYE with Reggie Workman on bass, two Bill Evans- one with Israels, one with Gomez....

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    thats impressions, the version of 'everytime we say goodbye' has no dolphy, and looks like Jimmy to me... Theres a version of 'my favourite things' on the video to, looks like the same gig as 'impressions'. anyone recognise whether its the vanguard or not? sounds like the same period as the live record was made.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ??? The video I saw has trane clearly stating the melody to EVERYTIME on soprano, and then moves to a solo by McCoy. I didn't recognize the bassist as reggie, i just saw that it wasn't Jimmy (taller, for one thing). The footage is definitely NOT from the Vanguard, they are on a much larger stage in a much larger venue.
    maybe the videos get changed around?

9. I found a clip on Dailymotion of Oscar P and NOHP and Ray Brown trade solos, Whoa....

10. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    There's a DVD of that performance available if you're interested.

11. pjwolf

pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    :hyper: great site! those video's are priceless!! thanks for the link VTDB...especially the Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown and NOHP!:cool: :cool:

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Check out Bill Evans playing "Waltz for Debby"!!

Check out the young bass player. Nice solo!!

13. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    It starts with them playing Everytime, I think with Jimmy, then fades into Impressions, with Reggie and Dolphy, then goes on to Favourite Things, with the same band but no dolphy. the later two are clearly from a different concert, and they are the ones I thought might be the vanguard (not for any good reason)

14. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I just checked that site again last night and there were two or three videos up that weren't there before so apparently this person is adding new stuff on a regular basis. Definitely a good link to hold on to.

15. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Cool... thanks for posting!

16. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    hi,
    there is a new video with duke ellington&orchestra playing satin doll, with a db-solo.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/alternativa/video/92213

can anybody please tell me who is the bass-player?

thanks a lot

@VTDB: thank you for the link, great site

17. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It's difficult to get a look at his face. When I pause the video his face is blocked. At first I thought it was Blanton. But after checking the Jazz Standards site it appears that Satin Doll was recorded in 1953 and Blanton had died in 1942.

18. My guess would be Aaron Bell.

19. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It could be Bell. He was in the Ellington band from 1960-62. It's difficult to date the video. If we could identify a few others in the band that might help. Here is a link to some info about Bell: http://www.essex.edu/news/2003/fnrelease7.html

20. Well, you can see he has his standard cats like Harry Carney, Johnny Hodges and on the other end Paul Gonzales in the Sax section It looked like Sam Woodyard on drums and Ellingtons hair and tux look vintage early 60's.
    I have a couple of albums w. Aaron Bell on them w pictures and it looks like him to me.