1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz volume pot issue

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'm sure this isn't terribly uncommon (I've seen something like this before, in fact), but here goes:

I recently upgraded the electronics on my FrankenFender to a set of new, pre-wired CTS 250k pots (electronics are still passive). Overall, they work fine, but there is one issue - when I turn the neck pickup volume all the way up, there is a rather bizarre output loss that is only noticeable when playing the E and A strings. It actually seems to affect the low end frequencies when playing these strings. When it dial it back just slightly, everything is fine.

Now, I could just deal with it by not turning that volume pot all the way up, but I am admittedly OCD. Has anyone experienced something like this and is it fixable or should I just snag another pot?

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it is a volume/volume/tone setup, there will always be a noticeable volume loss with both pickups on full vs. with one pickup at 100% and the other less. This is a result of the pickups loading one another, and should only occur when the pickups are set at more or less the same volume. If it is doing this when you are using only the neck pickup, then there is probably a problem with your volume pot...

Karl