Jazz Vs. Presicion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstard1, Jun 19, 2005.

1. basstard1

Mar 12, 2005
    I've not seen a similar thread before, so please, do what the title implies. Personally, i'm a jazz man, their soooo melow sounding and nice to play. I own a white one with a tort pickguard, a 60s neck on a mij body. :smug:
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I deffinately think this has been done before you should do a search.

also there are two very recent threads 1) "benefits of a precision"
    & 2) "benefits of a jazz" which should answer all your questions about the two
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It's cool...just wanted to give you a heads up.

My P is a little less 'refined' than my jazz basses. It's great for boomy thumpy lows when rolled back, and with the tone all the way up, it's punchy, but without that upper mid rarrrr that the Jazz bass has with the bridge pickup.
  4. I have a bass with a P-bass neck pickup and a J-Bass bridge pickup. I guess I get the best of both worlds.
  5. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Better tone, neck, playability, looks, versatility etc.
  6. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    A Jazz works better for me, but every time I hear someone using a P-bass, I love their sound.
  7. This might sound silly to some but for me the Roscoe Beck 5's that I have seem to be both the precision and jazz bass made into one with a wider neck.

Feel like I got them both.
  8. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Does The Roscoe Beck come in 4 Strings :confused:
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    What a easy question,the Jazz all the way,the Pis the son but the Father is the seed of the reputation and greatness :D
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Uhm...you may want to start ducking soon!
  11. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Heck, lowphat, we all might want to duck. It's called collateral damage.
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    No, I am betting on more of a "surgical strike".
    To stay on track here I actually got a Jazz, as opposed to a Precision,
    for two reasons:#1)my teacher at the time had a G&L with a real early Modulus neck(this was like 1983). My Peavey Fury at the time just wasn't getting it done and he said that the Jazz for sale downstairs was the closest thing. #2) I was just starting to play UB and getting way into jazz and thought the a Jazz bass must have been for me.

I was correct on both accounts!! The Jazz bass kept me satisfied for many years and succesfully underwent many mods. This "non precision decision" has had a permenant effect on my tastes in basses, particularly in string spacing at the bridge and neck feel. I regret nothing except for a lack of interest in P-bass tone. Until the last few years I wrote-off P-bass tone as bieng "someone elses tone, not mine". Up until around 12 years ago I even assumed that I could get P-bass tone by soloing my neck pup, maybe this had something to do with my lack of interest in it, but I have grown to appreciate it more and more, expecially lately.
    A Jazz is a Jazz, a Precision is a Precision, Neither is both. They are two different instruments to be respected seperately. One can make contrasting statements between the two but a true comparison may not possible.
  13. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    True dat!

I have some of both. I like the sound of the jazz acoustically, and while plugged into the rig in the practice room. The p is easier for me to pop/slap due to the spacing. The jazz is easier to play overall, of course, and has more range tonewise. However, in a live band situation the p has some kind of vibe that cuts through, less refined. I like it so much I acquired Brendan's SB-1. It's like the P i have, just more of it. I have always liked maple boards, mostly for their looks, but I'm finding I'm a rosewood/pau ferro kind of guy, for the subtle difference in sound, a little less aggressive. The p is a one trick pony, but something about the one trick is cool...

I'm still experimenting though...
  14. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Is this the Fender p body and neck with the J pup at the bridge? Are these MIA?