Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz VS Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankBass, Apr 9, 2001.

1. I'm somewhat new to the whole bass thing. When I look in a magazine for Guitars and Basses, I notice that the description of most basses are Jazz or Standard. They look the same, so what is the difference between them?

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Not quite sure what you mean here, but perhaps you are talking about the various incarnations of the Fender Jazz bass. A "Standard" refers to the Mexican-made fender jazz bass as opossed to an American made Jazz, for instance.

Also a "jazz" bass is one based upon the fender model generally having such traits as two single coil pickups, a relatively thin neck, and a body that is elongated in certain areas. Others, who know far more, could explain this better and correct any mistakes I've made.

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, I am just trying to respond to what I think you are asking.

3. Let me see if I can help. Fender has a model of bass called the Jazz bass. It is VERY popular and has kind of become the bass by which all other basses are judged. You will hear pickups refered to as "Jazz style" or "J style" pickups. You will also hear people refer to a basses sound as "Jazz-like" which means it sounds a lot like a Fender Jazz bass.

Fender makes a Standard Jazz and a Deluxe Jazz. The "Standard" has passive electronics where as the "Deluxe" has active electronics.

Fender has the Standard and Deluxe model made in Mexico and America. The American models are of higher quality but are more expensive.

Fender also make the Fender Precision bass. It is another style that a lot of other brands are compared to.

4. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I think it's pretty safe to assume that he's referring to that old Jazz vs. Precision debate.

5. Wise man say, "never assume anything". That is especially true here at Talkbass!