1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz vs. Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john nam, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Most of the time, I go for the aggressive yet thick sound with my jazz with the bridge pickup favored and bass dialed up. I really dig the Stingray sound for this reason and I'm thinking about getting one, but then there's those few times I want that neck pickup sound on my jazz.

My question is, do you think that a fender jazz with single coils can mimick a stingray pretty closely with some eq'ing? I can get close to that sound at home, but I'm not sure how it would compare with a stingray (single h) in a band situation.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Apples and oranges IMO. They don't sound anything alike. You can make both sound great, just not like each other.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Pretty hard to mimic a Stingray without getting into actives. They both sound good in their own rights.

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The simple answer is: own both!

5. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Stingray, any day of the week.

6. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    There's always a stingray with a neck pickup if you want. Every one I've played has sounded great with several useable but different tones IMO.

It really is an apples and oranges thing though, as others have said.

7. do you guys think a jazz with a nice tube amp can get close to queen's "another bites the dust" tone (clip below) or is a stingray/sterling the only way to get near that kind of tone?

my guess is that a jazz can come 75% close, but it's more of a high-mid growl rather than the stingray's low-mid growl, making the stingray's growl thicker sounding. i'm trying to avoid having to buy a stingray/sterling if i can get at least 75-80% of it's sound with a jazz, what a dilemma :). what do you guys think?

8. Britbonic

Britbonic Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    As a long time Fender guy (Jazz and PBass) and recent Stingray (SR5) owner would say not really. I've spent some time trying to EQ my SR5 to sound more like a PBass when needed and it can come close but playing them side by side there's no comparison. Close in the same way that if you roll off the bridge pickup on a Jazz it sounds more like a PBass but again once you do the direct comparison, it's over.

That said, it depends of course on what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to cop this sound live for a cover band or doing some recording and want a Stingray like sound? For cover bands, I've always found that playing the part close to the way it was recorded is more important than trying to cop the exact tone. Of course you can tweak eq controls, pedals, etc live but too many other variables even under the best of circumstances. However for recording, if you want that tone, you'll need to buy/rent/borrow a Stingray. No amount of tweaking or tube amps/preamps is gonna give you that sound.

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    The SR is also available w/ H-bridge J-neck.

10. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA

Its single coil musicman pickup so it will get you closer to the sound of a jazz when using with single coil of bridge humbucker but IMO doesn't really sound like a jazz bass.

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Boost mids, roll off the neck pup, play at the bridge pup.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    No it doesn't. A Stingray is it's own animal. Nothing is like it and nothing really sounds like it. You either love it or you don't.

Point is if you want the stingray sound you get a stingray. If you want a Jazz bass sound you get a jazz bass. There is no making one sound like the other. And since this is TB that is why I own both.

Rule: you can never own too many basses.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I played a stingray with a birdseye maple neck--the finish looked like it was made of honey. Do you know the one? The most beautiful neck I ever put my dirty mitts on. The end.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    A dual buck StingRay will get closer to a jazz sound than a jazz will to a StingRay sound. That said, they'll still sound nothing alike.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A Jazz mimicking a ray?
    I doubt that this will be very successful.

16. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Does it look like this one?

[​IMG]

That's my bass, a PDN 2012 Stingray 5. Diggin it!

17. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

Oct 2, 2012
    Illinois
    I think I broke one of my eyeballs trying to squint at that pic. ;)

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I love my Jazz. It is versatile, it records & works well for just about any type of music, and it has a very comfortable neck.
    My Stingray, however, is an absolute monster for slap or metal.

If I could only own one?
    The Jazz, for sure.

19. Britbonic

Jun 20, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry - here's a larger one but doesn't show neck as well.

[​IMG]

Just got back from a funk jam where I played a couple tunes on this bass.