Jazz Wiring Tricks?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CzarMike, Jun 11, 2002.

1. I'm wiring up my Warmoth Jazz Bass and was wandering if anyone has any cool wiring tricks that I should be aware of. So far my setup will be V/V/T with a switch to go from parallel to series wiring (see Andy Daventry's post )
    I also remember reading about putting a switch to go from the .47 capacitor to .220 or something. This seemed like a good idea as well, has anyone tried it out? Any ideas on how I could wire this mod together?

I'd love to hear any other cool wiring tricks that could add more range to the sound this baby will produce.
  2. If you want your bass to have ALL of the tone and volume possible from it's hardware, you simply have to wire the pups directly and let 'er fly. The reason is that the controls in passive instruments only do their work by removing frequencies. If you want more bass - treble frequencies and removed. If you want more treble, bass tones are filtered. Passive controls only filter - never add. Adding an active preamp would be the only way to boost output and tone variation.

That said, the best way to get the most from a passive system is to begin with high quality components (it looks like you've done this). Then make sure the cavities are shielded well. The next step is to make sure the connections are well done. Poor soldering can kill tone, volume or sound in general. As for different capacitors, wiring schemes and such - these are different for each players taste and some experimentation might be in order. But it sounds like your project will have very nice tone to start. I wouldn't do too much in advance of hearing it for the first time.