1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz with distortion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigbass94, Jul 23, 2007.

1. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    I have been playing bass since march and I feel I have come a long way, but my bass is an ibenez GIO:meh: Now sometime this year I am planing on getting a jazz copy. I have heard people say that they cut through the mix very well. I have ALSO hear people say that a P bass in better.I like to play a broad range of music, like metal (burton) and jazz (Larry Graham). But what about distortion? does it sound bad with it. If someone has already posted on this subject, please let me know.

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Effects are subjective like anything else. If you like how they sound and use them tastefully...Well there ya go. Good luck and enjoy

3. satchmo

satchmo

May 1, 2007
    Toronto
    I'm in a similar boat to you -- new to bass after a long stint on guitar. (must say I like bass more).

I play in an indie band and we like to really change up the bass tone with a variety of effects. I've got a MIJ Jazz and a TBC Stingray 5 right now, and I can tell you that with distortion, in my experience, the effect you use is more important than the bass.

I've been using my guitar distortion pedals, RAT and Danelectro Fabtone, and both have their weaknesses on both basses. The Danelectro sounds surprisingly better on bass than on guitar, but it's still not what I want.

I suggest searching the effects forum for more input, but for me the bottom line is when you're distorting your bass signal to the extent of playing a 'metal' type sound, it really doesn't matter what bass is on the end of the cord.

4. listen to Rage Against The Machine for distorted Jazz Bass tones, anything after the first album is where he uses a Jazz Bass. And it sounds great

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member