Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 6, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Anyone know of any good jazz instuction sites? I want to start learning the basics of jazz to expand my horizons. Not to mention, I want to play jazz one day when I'm older and can't rock out anymore.
  2. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    there are alot of things on ActiveBass.com

If you haven't checked it out, I would recommend it...Jazz owl is another one...

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

JWC, how old are you expecting to be when you can't "rock out" anymore? The Rolling Stones are all in their late fifties. Aerosmith musicians are in their late forties. KISS members are in their mid to late forties. Elton John, Billy Joel, Tina Turner, James Brown, Eric Clapton, Isaac Hayes, AC/DC...the list goes on and on.

Goodness, even bands like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Judas Priest, The Ramones, The Scorpions, plus REO SPeedwagon, Styx, Foreigner, The Eagles, The Allmans, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Rush, Yes... all those bands are still "rocking out."

You have years and years before you can't cut it anymore. Still, there is no harm in getting a solid foundation in jazz. By the time you can no longer rock, you will be extremely well prepared to play jazz.

jason oldsted
  4. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    I'm probably not too terribly qualified to respond to this thread, but hey, I'm trying to get to 30 posts so I can shake that, "New Member," tag next to my name! :D

Seriously, if you want to rock out, rock out until your fingers are too arthritic to do it anymore. And if you want to swing, replace all instances of, "rock out" in my first sentence, rinse, repeat. But don't do one for fear of eventually not being able to cop it anymore at the other . . . you'll only be selling yourself short.
  5. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    JWC - There's visionmusic(I think that's it-have'nt realy looked through it). http://www.gollihur.com has a massive links page-gotta be something there.
    You should also look at http://www.jazzbooks.com. This is Jamey Aebersold's site, everything from books to play along CD's.
  6. Jamey Abersolds website is http://www.jajazz.com vision music is http://www.visionmusic.com Jamey has play along books and Cd's and books by many other writers. Vision Music has lessons for bass and guitar and midi play alongs on line.
  7. If you can learn everything in "The Jazz Theory Book" by Mark Levine (Sher publication) you'll be one of the most knowledgeable jazzers in the world. Also, listen to "Night Train" by Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown on bass, and "kind Of Blue" by Miles Davis with Paul Chambers (considered by many to be the finest ever jazz recording), for these two albums alone contain a lifetime of bass study in them.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

" The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine is listed as "out of print" by Amazon.com. I know becaue I took your advice and tried to find it. Amazon has me wait listed. They are trying to find a used copy for me, but told me it may take several weeks or even a couple months if at all. I'm hoping they can come through for me.

Second, you mentioned "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis. That CD was reccommended to me by JimK and I bought the "remastered" version. I can tell JWC that I just love that album. I think it will be one of the few CDs besides Stevie Ray Vaughan's "in Step" and "Blues Brothers 2000: that I have nearly worn out.

jason oldsted
  9. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Check Jamey Aebersold's site. Levine's book is in the 2001 catalog.
    Could be an oversight.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Levine's book is available through Aebersold's, but I would definitely not recommend it for someone just starting out. I teach a jazz harmony class at a university in town, and that book gets so deep so fast that, even with a class full of music majors with 4 semesters of theory under their belts, we can't really begin to explore it until about halfway through the semester. If you are really just starting out, you might try Todd Coolman's "The Bottom Line", or (if you read) any of the transcribed bass line volumes from the play along series (all available from Jamey). I would also recommend a teacher if you are serious about it - if you find a good one, it will be well worth it.

Good luck.
  11. Chris, you are quite right, I was thinking of it as a lifetime study thing, not a primer.