Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pesci1313, Jul 11, 2001.

1. I've just recently(being young) started listening to some jazz and i enjoy it, what i'm wondering though is, what are some good jazz bands and artists? not just bassists. i find i enjoy acid jazz a fair amount but also want to hear more and more.

2. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    I'm new to jazz but here's some jazz musicians I like..

Miles Davis
    Thelonious Monk
    Duke Ellington

My favourite jazz bassists:

Charlie Mingus
    Charlie Haden
    Milt Hilton

I'm sure somebody who has a greater knowledge of jazz will follow up with a more informative reply.

3. I'm getting into jazz at the moment too. I'm no expert either but check out a guy called Gil Scott Heron. He is amazing and happens to have a great bassist too!
    I reccomend listening to a track called 'Lady Day and John Coltrane'. Also check out 'The Bottle' and 'Gun'.
    They are all exellent and are worth a listen.

4. Asking (I'm paraphrasing) "what's some good jazz to try?" is kinda like asking "what's some good cheese to try?" There are so many types and some are more palatable than others which might "take some getting used to". Here's one very palatable suggestion: Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue" which is one of the most popular jazz albums of all time and deservedly so.

5. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    These are all greats. I also like:

Charlie Parker
    John Coltrane
    Chick Corea
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Horace Silver
    Stan Getz
    Sunny Rollins
    Art Blakey
    Dexter Gordon
    Bill Evans
    and Herbie Hancock-this dudes a little funky, but my dad calls him jazz

Those are my favorites.

Ken Burns made a PBS documentery on Jazz. For many of the artists the show covered, compilation cd's were released for only about $10 a piece. Thats a good deal on some fine compilations.

6. Oscar Peterson's one of my favourites, Miles Davis is good too, as the others have mentioned.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Here are my suggestions......

Charlie Parker
    John Coltrane
    Bill Evans
    Pat Metheny
    Mike Stern
    Kurt Rosenwinkel (new guy)
    Jaco Pastorius
    John Patitucci
    Chick Corea
    Brad Mehldau
    Miles Davis
    John Scofield

and of course, there are many others. :)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you look in the "Recordings" forum, there have been a few threads with recommendations for Jazz records to listen to. They're not too hard to find.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    make sure you check out some christian mcbride, he's incredible.

lincoln center jazz orchestra is very cool too.

jason

10. For bass, check out Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen; he's amazing, and has made many fine recordings - one in particular with Joe Pass, entitled "Chops" in which both bass and guitar are treated as solo instruments. "North Sea Nights" is another from those two performers - recorded live at the "North Sea Jazz Festival" in Holland in 1979, and consists of the two of them improvising together.

For jazz in general - well, the world is your oyster - there's so much of it and so many different genres. Ken Burns did a pretty good series of TV programmes (available on video) on PBS about 6 months ago - might be a good starting point, although as mentioned elsewhere, there were some omissions.

Good Luck!

- Wil