Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by scottos150, Sep 22, 2002.

1. could someone recomend some good modern jazz bands? thanks

2. Saxastation
    Is a very good jazz CD
    Its a lady
    I dont Know were she lives

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What kinda jazz are you interested in? Acoustic? Electric? More laid back or more intense driving? Smaller or larger combos? There are so many types of jazz being played that it makes that a pretty broad question.

Some of my faves are:

acoustic:
    Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
    Branford Marsalis - The Beautyful Ones are Not Yet Born
    Brad Mehldau - The Art of the Trio Vol. 2
    John Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Delfeayo Marsalis - Pontius Pilate's Decision (pretty intense!)
    Charles Mingus - Live at Antibes '60

electric or electro-acoustic:
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
    Medeski Martin and Wood - Combustication (groove/funk oriented jam-jazz)
    John Scofield - Uberjam
    Marcus Miller - Live+More
    etc etc...

There's a few for you

brad cook

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Philidelphia experiment- very good, great bass

Zero 7- kinda acid jazz

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

What do you mean by "modern jazz"? Anything post ragtime, post Dixieland, post swing? Or do you mean post 1999?

Just as a suggestion, you might try a staple of what we called "modern jazz" back in the late fifties...The Modern Jazz Quartet.

6. The Philadelphia Experiment
    The Greyboy Allstars
    Medeski Martin & Wood
    Charlie Hunter

That's about it for modern-day jazz...all of these guys have a funk background, though.

7. thanks for all the band suggestions, By modern day I ment within like the last ten years.

8. Boplicity

Allow me to suggest an excellent source of information for you on modern jazz groups and other jazz genres, too. It is Jazziz magazine. They also have a web site. They really ahve some of the most current information on jazz groups, what they are doing, where they are touring and their new releases.

http://www.jazziz.com

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Personally I prefer Downbeat for my jazz info because, while Jazziz has some great stuff to offer, I feel like it focuses a bit too much on smooth jazz and the like. That's just my feeling when I read it.

brad cook

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So we're talking Jazz groups from 1992 - 2002 then.
    You will find that in Jazz the best groups are usually named for their leader - so :

Dave Holland (- quintet and larger bands)
    Joe Zawinul (Syndicate)
    Wayne Shorter (- recent live album is great!)
    Lee Konitz
    Joe Lovano
    Michael Brecker
    Charlie Haden
    Billy Cobham
    Avishai Cohen
    Christian McBride
    Ben Allison

This is just a sample of US Jazzers, but there are loads of magazine as has been said which list new CDs each month - I buy JazzWise - and of course I buy loads of Jazz CDs by new British artists like :

John Paricelli
    Guy Barker
    Clark Tracey
    Arnie Somogyi
    Kenny Wheeler
    Jazz Jamaica All-Stars
    Perfect Houseplants
    Bill Bruford's (Earthworks)
    Cubana Bop
    Ed Jones
    Colin Towns (Mask Orchestra)
    Gerard Presencer

etc etc.

11. Boplicity

Maybe that is precisely why I like Jazziz. I actually like a lot of smooth jazz (but not all), but I know the very thought of "smooth jazz" is abhorrent to many more sophisticated jazz listeners.

12. jerryoram

jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    Fourplay ,Dave Koz

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Recommend some jazz, eh?
    Well, OK, I'm going to make this easy...
    Buy anything that says "John Coltrane" on the label, or look into Miles Davis group w/ Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, & Tony Williams.
    Of course there are MANY more, but you might as well start at the top. These ensembles define modern jazz-its as good as it will ever get!:cool:

14. Bruce Lindfield

But the poster has refined his definition to within the last 10 years - keep up!! ;)

OK - Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock have released good albums in the last 10 years, but the original request was for "modern jazz bands".

Can we really call something that is over 30 years old "modern", when many, many bands are writing new, original Jazz compositions every year?

I mean - Dave Holland has a brand new album out just now, that is great, so why look back 30 years if we are talking "modern"?

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You can go back 100 years or think ahead 150 years-nothing defines or surpasses jazz, modern or otherwise, than the artists I mentioned-
    So if this poster wanted some suggestions of who to listen to for "modern jazz" I don't care how long ago these works were recorded. There is nothing tha has yet surpassed "A Love Supreme" e.g, or take a listen to "Nefertiti" etc.
    Anybody else is following in the trails of these great artists and they themselves would be the first to admit this-Keep up with that!:cool:

16. A "modern" band who hasn't been mentioned is UZEB. Although they played between 11 and 20 years ago - their "Best of" album was released in 2000. Another band who dates from 30 years ago and is among my favourites is Return to Forever. Also love projects by the individuals in that band - Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White. Truly musical creators in the structured improvisational genre.

HEY SCOTTOS - listen to any of these guys without knowing who they are, and you can conclude that they might have been recorded anytime in the last couple of years. With good music, when it was produced is irrelevant.

IMHO the term "modern jazz" could apply to any improvisational musical form from the 20th or 21st century that isn't of the "Dixieland" genre (which I consider its OWN form)...

17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    NOW you're talkin'!!
    One thing that defines worthwhile music in general is timelessness-lasting value, i.e. "trane, Miles,
    Mingus-If one states that these are "outdated"-
    ????? OK, how 'bout Mozart, Bach, Beethoven-
    hundreds of years old!! HOW can THEY be of any value?;)
    Perrsonally, Kid Ory sounds fresh, as does my Mingus trio album from the 50's, or "12 x 5"
    by the Stones.
    & I still maintain that ALL jazz musicians today are still chasin' 'Trane!
    (anybody wanna argue that?)

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Certainly not me.
    Many still say Coltrane was the last great innovator(& he died in, what, 1970?).

Bruce-
    Modern Jazz began with the Bebop era(According to one of my old college text books. I recall that 'cause I was thinking "Modern? C'mon, that stuff is, like, 40 years old". Yeah, I was really clueless back then).

19. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I know what you mean - but the original poster asked for things from the last 10 years.

And I get bored withe all the threads about Jazz that just list the same 2 or 3 big names - it just feels lazy to me.

I buy more Jazz albums released in the current year and I do believe that there are many strains of Jazz that don't owe much to Coltrane or whoever - the ECM stuff for example.

I also feel that Jazz should be a living art form and I like to see artists live and then buy albums - it means a lot more to me then.

I'm probably out of step though with most Jazz fans or players - I'm always short on repertoire that I can play with other people. So at Jazz Summerschool we started off the week with a Coltrane tune - "Crescent" and the tutor said we must have heard it!! Not me. :(

20. I don't know if you count her, but i absolutely love this Nora Jones album. Great stuff.