Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazzanova

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dudemeister, May 3, 2002.

1. Yesterday I went to a record shop where they were playing this really cosy jazz tune, so I asked what it was. The record was called In Between, the artist Jazzanova (or the otherway round) and the song was called Hanazono.
    I found it on amazon (only the german site for some reason:confused: ) but since Realplayer has never worked on any of my computers I can't listen to the other songs to see if they are any good.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000062UT2/ref=ed_ec_h_cs_6_1/302-7728323-4864026

Have any of you heard this record and if so, what do you think of it?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You peaked my interest, so I checked out the Amazon link and listened to the 30 second sound bytes from nine of the songs. "Hanazono" is quite different from the others in that, as the name indicates, there is more of a Japanese vibe going on, while the other songs reveal a great variety of moods and styles, even two jazzy raps.

I would classify this as world beat/soft jazz/dance but not techno. The CD has a lot of variety on it, most with vocals. I do feel the 30 second Real Audio sound byte doesn't do this band justice as many of the songs have long intros, so you don't really know for sure where the music is headed after that intro.

I kind of liked Jazzanova myself, but do not know if it is available in the U.S.