1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazzbass 1962 vs Precision 1961

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roogbass, Jun 11, 2019.

Jazz or Precision?

Poll closed Tuesday at 2:15 PM.
  1. Jazzbass

51.3%
  2. Precision

39.3%
  3. Wortels (carrots)

9.4%
  1. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Thanks.

I tried to use both at their best. I could emulate a Precision on the Jazz, but why would i. And vice versa.

2. roogbass

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Rounds on the Precision.

djaxup likes this.
  3. BLDavis

BLDavis Old enough to know better.....too young to care! Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Of course I answered Jazz immediately, without reading any of the other posts or listening to the sound clips or eating any carrots. Does that make me a bad person?
    B.

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree, and sounds like you accomplished what you tried. Attempting to match one of the tones to the other would defeat the purpose. I couldn't place a vote because I think they both sounded great.

djaxup, roogbass and Clark W like this.
  5. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ahh. My mistake.

roogbass likes this.
  6. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think the jazz fits this particular song better, but both basses sound excellent in my ears. And some great playing too, apparently with a nice light touch. :thumbsup:

roogbass likes this.
  7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    To answer your question, I voted the Jazz as I felt it’s tone best fit the music.

roogbass likes this.
  8. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not to derail, but just as a brief PSA: @PeaveyPlayer I don't believe that suggestion can be applied to the passive Geezers.

9. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Has worked well for me. Of all the basses I own when I'm gigging its the one the guitarists just can't keep their hands off of:D

10. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    Fair enough. Though I don't think playing in the same position equals trying to emulate a Precision. More that to demonstrate intrinsic differences it can make sense to to keep as many other factors the same. Still, I can see the other POV of trying to best emphasize the character of each bass.

roogbass and Kro like this.
  11. On that tune I prefer the J.

roogbass likes this.
  12. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Great playing, indeed! Did you have the tone turned all the way up on the Precision?

13. roogbass

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Yes on both basses.
    The profile on the Kemper cuts the highs a bit.

Robert B likes this.
  14. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Dang man, terrific playing. I might have to start using some EDM music for practice. You're right? Bass lines usually lacking so there could be a lot of space for creativity. It's hard to make up a baseline when I've already heard one. I have been a dyed-in-the-wool jazz guy for the longest time, yet have been trying to gain more appreciation for the P bass. I'm currently at home on a Stingray. But this just has me all up in arms. I usually roll a jazz wide open, but this burpy Bridge emphasis tone is just awesome. I'm truly stuck because that P sounds amazing too.

roogbass and Kro like this.
  15. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed

Mar 8, 2013
    Nicely done!
    I voted "P" before I listened and wasn't disappointed in my vote. I played a '65 Jazz for many years and spent the whole time trying to make it sound like a "P". I just can't like the signature "J" sound.

BM7716 and roogbass like this.
  16. bigmikebass

bigmikebass Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairview Park , Ohio
    So good man. Your pocket is really fun to listen to, had my head bobbing.

I like the P. The Jazz tone is great too, it sits up in the mix. But, when you started to play the P, I heard the song.

Plus, both basses look rad.
    Thanks for putting this together.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    raphaeld, Newbilong, Kro and 2 others like this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I had a 61 Pbass and it was nice, sounded great, played great but I didn’t care for the neck, it really didn’t work with my fretting hand so it stayed locked up most of the time, I now have a Lakland DDunn Pbass with he jazz neck and I love it, I also have a Fender RW jazz that I love and has been my player since I got it, I guess the neck is what does it for me..

bigmikebass and roogbass like this.
  18. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Personally, I like a Jazz with a thicker Precision neck

19. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I voted for the Jazz, might have something to do with my having owned a '62. I did like the Jazz being more forward in the mix, as said before if the P was a little louder it might have been a choice too. Funny, when I had my '62, or any other "Jazz' type bass since then I usually favor the neck pickup a bit. Just the opposite of your setting, so I would have a "fatter" possibly P type tone. I've found that to be a great balance. Great playing, by the way.

roogbass likes this.
  20. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    yah, i have my favorite, but really what should be said is, nice playing!

roogbass likes this.