1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazzbass 1962 vs Precision 1961

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roogbass, Jun 11, 2019.

Jazz or Precision?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2019.
  1. Jazzbass

51.3%
  2. Precision

39.3%
  3. Wortels (carrots)

9.4%
  1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Fantastic playing. I love both. But, for this particular song, JAZZ!

roogbass likes this.
  2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Difference wasnt great enough for me, so I chose wortels. Obviously the jazz was more articulate.
    Your playing is wonderful.

roogbass likes this.
  3. gpeacock

gpeacock Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Arizona
    Great performance! Although I have three j's at this time I'm in the hunt for a P. Your demo just confirms why. I was producing this song for release it would be the p version.

roogbass likes this.
  4. Gotta say both sound very good. For that piece, the jazz articulates rhythmic nuances a bit more. Nice playing BTW.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    roogbass likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Had i spent most of my life devoted to the study of music and was a full time musician making retirement and send the kids to college money playing bass, i’m sure i’d have an arsenal of basses but i’m just another ham and egger so all i’ve got are a few jazz basses, but each one has different pickups so i can break out of the jazz bass box if i need to. I’ve been lucky enough to work on a few professional recording projects and i’ve always borrowed a p bass to take with me but the engineer or producer always chose my jazz.

Raw N Low and roogbass like this.
  6. I used a Jazz starting out and then switched and used Precision's for pretty most of my playing career but I have since went back to my original love for Jazz basses. Especially in this comparison and all things considered I'm going to have to vote for the Jazz bass.

roogbass likes this.
  7. The Jazz sound pleases the player and other bass players. The Precision sound pleases the engineer and fits the overall public’s music taste that doesn’t give a hoot what a bass guitar should sound like.

By the way, great chops amigo!

Stevorebob, roogbass, mrm56 and 2 others like this.
  8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The Jazz Bass does a whole lot more sounds than what this video demonstrates. Just saying. Joe Osborn basically made a living with J tones more aligned with what the P sounds like here. The evidence is in the juke boxes; er...I mean on YouTube.

“Taking sides” on this issue is somewhat tragically tribal; and even if someone feels the need to go there, this video would not constitute good information in that respect. The right video for that discussion would be with the Jazz panned to the neck pickups and played up over the neck pickup towards the neck. Really. It can be done.

Otherwise, it’s a nice video. Bass line /playing is excellent. Isn’t Bass a great instrument?

roogbass likes this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    don’t you think that it’s because the P was the only game in town for so long and more or less imprinted on the bulk of the human race? That old habits die hard so that imprint was repeatedly passed forward through recording projects looking to maximize their appeal to the unwashed masses?

Doublesixes likes this.
  10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Great playing, regardless of the bass.

I voted Jazz, because I thought it fit the song better. BUT, i like the sound of both, and aim for somewhere in the middle between the two for "my sound".

Again, great job and i do think you certainly demonstrated the difference between each traditional tone.

dcr

roogbass likes this.
  11. Valid point. I will admit to have developed a strong liking for the P sound and consider it indispensable in my stable, however, when it comes time to showcase a strongly melodic aspect of what I’m trying to accomplish, I reach for a Jazz.

roogbass likes this.
  12. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I think this demonstrates that silly pop songs need a great bass line added. I was hypnotized by the cheerful style and the octaves you sprinkled like pepper. :bassist:

While I strongly preferred the articulate balance of the Jazz Bass here, I think the fat low end of the Precision would beat the Jazz tone IF there were more upper mids added to the Precision's EQ in the recording. It needs a little more presence and clarity and then it would really shine compared to the Jazz timbre.

Super playing. That bass line just dances, and would be a hitmaker. Cheers ! :headphone:

Newbilong, roogbass and bucephylus like this.
  13. Great video! That jazz sounds amazing. Sadly I can never get a Jazz to sound good in my hands...

roogbass likes this.
  14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Jazz for me and nice playin you got sir...

roogbass likes this.
  15. skortch

skortch

Apr 28, 2007
    Colorado
    Fantastic playing. Wow.

The Jazz stood out more for me and as usual I preferred the tone, if we are just isolating the bass track. However, if you are still trying to keep this as an EDM-type song I think the Precision works better. It sits in the track more like a dance club/sequenced synth bass tone would while still feeling live overall.

That Jazz popped out a bit too much in this case, for the type of music. Maybe both pickups on or a bias to the neck would have helped give it more of an EDM feel.

Newbilong likes this.
  16. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    It wasn’t my intention to demonstrate all sounds you can get out of these basses.
    You can’t go wrong with any of these basses.
    ‘Better’ doesn’t exist imho. Only in sports :)

bucephylus likes this.
  17. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    That jazz.

All. Day. Long.

The P was barely audible for me.

But your playing is real crisp and precise (see what I did there?) Good stuff!

18. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Great touch, very relaxed. And your ideas! That's what I wanted to talk about. We've all dissected the tonal differences between the two basses but what about how each instrument shaped the player's note choices? If I may say so it looks to me like you're more comfortable on the Jazz and for this busy part, it's no wonder. You have to work slightly harder on the P so that usually makes me play less which is often a good thing. Both sound good but for this demo, I prefer the Jazz not only because of how it's cutting but also because of your take. There were some fun lines in there. Bravo!

19. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Awesome! Well done. :thumbsup: They both sound great. Would love to hear a Ray, and a Rick, and a fretless Alembic, and ... :woot:

20. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nice job. I personally prefer the Jazz for clarity.