1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazzbass 1962 vs Precision 1961

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roogbass, Jun 11, 2019.

Jazz or Precision?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2019.
  1. Jazzbass

51.3%
  2. Precision

39.3%
  3. Wortels (carrots)

9.4%
  1. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. I didn't think the Precision sat well in the mix for this style of play per my ears. Compared to the Jazz, clarity and definition was lacking a bit for the ghost notes.

I was thinking you either had some dead roundwounds on the Precision, or flatwounds but not the most modern sounding ones on the market.

It makes sense because of the Elixirs. I use to play them exclusively on my Precision for decades until I went back to Boomers. Which is what I originally started with back in the early 80's.

Of course with the Jazz being single coil, it will emphasis the uppers better and help ghost notes stand out better. You probably could have EQ'd the precision to compensate for the Elixirs and it would have sounded fine to me.

roogbass likes this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

the playing is so nice = doesn't make a difference re: which instrument!

i voted "black." :D

squarewave and roogbass like this.
  3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Props again for the nice lines you played.

The “problem” is that as a thread topic, what you actually did nicely was to demonstrate one tone each that those two instruments are known for. That’s fine as far as it goes; but, TB tends to have a high school herd mentality. And, this particular topic is one of several where for whatever reason players feel it necessary to polarize.

The correct OP question might have been to ask which of those two particular sounds do players prefer as a bass backing track. That would generate some pretty interesting exchanges. I see it as more of a tone selection question than some kind of instrumental tribalism; which would of course be pretty silly.

No question in my mind that the deep resonant tone the P naturally produces is preferred for a lot of work. The fact that the J can also do that needs to be part of the understanding. That’s my only point. The staccato J tone can be really hip; but, the player needs to know when it is appropriate.

roogbass likes this.
  4. FollowMeDown

FollowMeDown

Feb 8, 2019
    Jazz for this song, but I can imagine plenty of music where the P would fit much better.

roogbass likes this.
  5. Tigerpig

Tigerpig

Oct 27, 2016
    Norwich UK
    Prefer the Jazz on this style of music.

roogbass likes this.
  6. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Absolutely - jazz bass.

roogbass likes this.
  7. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    @roogbass - For the Jazz bass, did you have both pickup volume knobs up all the way?

If so, do you feel like they are balanced in terms of volume/height, or can you hear either the bridge or neck pickup dominating when you have them both full on?

I love the punch, attack, and fullness you got with the jazz. Excellent sound and excellent playing...

**Also, killer work on Red Baron. I'm digging some stuff on your youtube channel.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    roogbass likes this.
  8. They both sound great. Stellar playing! I'm more of a Precision Bass player, but the Jazz definitely works for this song.

roogbass likes this.
  9. First off, great playing and tone! Secondly, I chose the p-bass because that’s what I like to play, but the jazz sounds SOOOO good on this song that i would try to get a hold of one, if i were playing on this track. However, I bet you could get a similar tone from the p if you needed to.

roogbass likes this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Different flavors of good. Nice playing! I really like how your ghost notes "pop".

roogbass likes this.
  11. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Bring on those ghost notes - great lines - fun!

I can't call one as "better" than the other. The J might have facilitated or inspired a more athletic romp, but over my laptop speakers just now, I preferred the P-bass timbre as an anchor for all the other bright, jangly stuff going on in the track. Will listen again later, with headphones.

And again, thanks for the ghost note tutorial - I really dig your approach!

roogbass likes this.
  12. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Killer playing...I think I preferred the Jazz in context though.

patzilla83 and roogbass like this.
  13. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    good playing, but i prefer the jazz sound over the p..the notes just pop out a bit more, no to say i dont love the pbass but for this particular song it sounded more clear

roogbass likes this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    One question about the P:
    Does it 'bark' if you want it to?:)

15. roogbass

roogbass Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Yes, you’re right. Another title would have been better.

16. roogbass

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Bridge pup only on this one.
    The pots have a very steep range. So a small nudge and volume is way down.
    But both pups are nicely balanced, solo and the combi.

17. roogbass

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    Yes it can. My touch is to soft for that. Also the superlight elixirs don’t help.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Super light strings on a P?
    Interesting: I am not sure I have met anyone doing this.
    Still...sounds rather good as is:).

roogbass likes this.
  19. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    You have made both basses sound terrific but, for that particular track, I like the Jazz Bass tone a little more. The Jazz sounded slightly more articulate. However, the low mid punch of the Precision gave the track a different flavor. Well done on all acounts.

Joebone and roogbass like this.
  20. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    The jazz with the tone you chose fits better in this context of playing, to my ears. For a Pbass to shine with that kind of style, I'm thinking players like Paul Jackson or Colin Hodgkinson, who have typical Pbass tones of a very different nature than you chose. Well played either way and thanks for posting!

roogbass likes this.
  21. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    While I generally avoid P vs J threads, this was a very good demo with skilled playing to optimize the attributes of each

For me, Jazz -hands down for that song (and usually the case on most things for myself)...However, the P was good and could be the first choice on a different tune

roogbass likes this.