Jazzbass neck routing template

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RopStop, Jun 19, 2005.

1. RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Hi everyone,

I am currently drawing my own bass body template in adobe illustrator. I was wondering if anyone had a (digital) routing template of a fender/warmoth jazzbass neckpocket, so I can incorporate it in my template.

Does anyone have such a thing and could I get a copy of it? Or is anyone able to scan his or her jazzbass neck? ;)

2. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    mrgearhead.com has full-size PDFs of just about any Fender guitar imaginable. The only trick is that once you get 'em into Illustrator, you'll have to make some measurements of known lengths (the nut being 1-1/2", or the length from the nut to the 12th fret) and scale the whole thing up proportionally.

And watch out, because the paths in Fender's PDFs are cut into weird little pieces. For a small area like the neck pocket, you can probably just connect 'em manually, but it's a pain in the ass dealing with the whole guitar.
  3. RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Thank you phatcactus!

I indeed used some of the templates, exported the PDFs to EPS and imported those in illustrator for a basic layout for the body and neck.

However, I could not find a decent diagram of a neckpocket alone. I tried to resize some pictures from the warmoth website to obtain a decent neck-pocket, but the pictures´s resolution was too low for a decent resize.

Anyone other suggestions?

4. Since the neckpocket is the most critical fit point on a body (and the only critical fit point) you might want to consider making your own template from scanning the heel of a Jazz bass and making your pocket contour from that. You will have a lot better chance of getting it to fit closely than you will resizing a low rez pic from a website. A word of caution though, is to establish your centerline on the neck before scanning because it is very difficult to do afterwards.

A tip for getting the small, short, line segments smoothed out is to combine the entire group, then convert them to curves, then smooth them all en masse. Even the straight lines should become even. This is much easier in Corel as it handles node edit points better than Illustrator. After I get them all smoothed, I'll do an automatic point reduction and get it down to only the number of nodes actually needed to define the shape. I usually only see this when a dxf. or .dwg file is converted to and .eps., usually not with .pdf's

Corel will import pdf's as editable curves without breaking them down into small detached segments.
  5. Hey, I just went over to Mr. Gearhead and downloaded the pdf. I made up the template for the neck pocket. I put the centerline on the drawing to make it a cinch to get lined up.

I can give it to you in .eps or an .ai file if you need it that way. Just email me with your addy and I'll pop you the file.
  6. RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Who the man?

You the man!

You´ve got a PM...