Jazzbass pick up choise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basmeisje, Jul 10, 2004.

1. basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi all,

I was wondering what pick up you choose for different sorts of sounds and music.
    For instant I heard someone once mention that you can make a jazz sound close to a percision (and never the other way around). Since a few of my inspiring bassplayers play percision, i'd like to know how (James Jamerson, Jerry scheff (Elvis), Bruce Foxton (Jam).

I like the sound of the bridge pick up in my American JazzBass for funk, altough it's sometimes a bit to thin.
    I tend to prefer the bridge pu for rock and slap.
    Only very few times do I like them both open, it's sort of to smooth, but since my ears get better I like it better little by little.
    I'm curious for your visions, also in combination with the tone pot, thanks in advance,

BottomendGirl Yvette
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Yvette, I like the Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, they sound very much like the original pickups, maybe a little smoother. Also, definitely check out Villex pickups. They're just now coming out on the market (in stores and such), and they sound GReat. You can put a midrange control on them too, yet they're still completely passive. They sound truly amazing for passive pickups.
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in my Jazz. They make the tone much more aggressive and growly, which I appreciate immensely. It's passive, by the way.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If you like the Duncan Antiquities, you may want to consider the Nordstrand NJ4 pickups. I have a Nordstrand P/J set in my Precision deluxe. It is my favorite bass-I can get lots of nice tones from it. And now, the tone knob actually does something.

Hey Nonsqtr, did you ever end up checking on a Nordstrand 5 string Pbass pickup? I remember you were looking into one. Just wondering what the outcome was.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It's on the "to do" list, but the only problem is that the pickup line is growing so fast in popularity that the focus has been on completing existing orders (in addition to the addition of a few new models here and there)....not to mention the fact that Carey DOES have to turn out a bass or two here and there! :D The MM-style pickups are just about ready, and the 5-string single coil line will soon be expanded. After that, we'll be looking to expand to 5-string P pickups, 6-string singlecoils, and Nordstrand dual coils, "fat stacks", "big singles", etc. The main problem is that plastic covers are not always readilly available, but that's an issues that's being worked on. Needless to say, the Nordstrand pickup line is coming along very nicely! ;)
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Wow, seems that guys like myself who keep going on about how great these pickups are, are putting Carey into overdrive mode just trying to keep up! :hyper:

And then of course, when you have to keep telling him "send me more!!" :D

Seriously though, they are great pickups. :bassist: