Jazzbass wood, color, slapboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yvette, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Hi All,

I'm going to buy an American (sreies) Jazz bass in a few month. I want it to have the best possible slapsound, so I think I'll have to choose for a maple slapboard, but I like to hear opinions on this.
    I really love the natural finish option, but it will give me an Ash body aswell. What does this do to weight, sound and so on.
    What would be your choise and why? Replies will be apreciated and I will thank you in advance,

2. Ash: Brighty and more ballsy than alder. But also heavier. Ash plus a maple fretboard can give you a Marcus Miller type sound.

Alder: Warm, but still bright. Lighter than ash, but doesn't have the balls that ash does.

They are both good for slap though.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hi, Yvette,

I'd go with the ash body and maple fretboard for classic slap sound.

As snaggletooth says, the ash is heavier and that's good for slap because you don't have all the big midrange tones that you get from alder. You can slap an alder bass but it doesn't sound as bright and clear like ash.

The maple fretboard is also the better choice for slap. It's much harder and denser than rosewood,so notes are crisper, brighter, and your strings "bounce" off a maple fretboard better when slapped.
    Rosewoods are oily woods. Those oils tend to dampen your sound. It's "warmer" sounding.

Look at one of the most widely used basses for slap - the Stingray. Those are ash bodies. Plus, you often see them maple fretboards (if not most of the time).
  4. Thanks for replies,

I know about the rosewood since I alreaddy have a Poplar Jazz with rosewood board and it gives me great tone for everything except for slapping.

5. My Essex Jazz is ash w/ maple. Sounds great. In any case, I'd get a bass for fingerstyle and slap. I'm just picky like that though. :D