Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Chralle, Jun 22, 2000.

1. Chralle

Jun 22, 2000
    I'd like to know if there's anyone out there with videomaterial of great jazz bassist and their bands, ex. Miles Davis' quintet, Tribal Tech, Weather Report - ANYTHING WITH WORLDCLASS BASSMEN!!
    I have some material myself to trade with (Wooten, Manring, Tower of Power -stuff etc.) - and I'm also willing to pay for the stuff!
    I prefer PAL(european videformat), but Americans are also more than welcome!
    Let me know!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You should be able to get "Triumph of the Underdog" with some great footage of Mingus playing - it seems to be on all the mail order catalogues.
  3. robertw

Aug 14, 2000
    Although not the leader on this one, Neils Henning Orsted Pederson is featured on the Kenny Drew trio live video I recently purchased. I think it was taped in London, so hope it is available in the format you can view. It was taped in the early '90's.

There's another Mingus video from 1964 recorded in Oslo that I've seen advertised. You also might try thejazzstore.com (U.S.) to see a list of their available videos. There used to be one with Ron Carter and Art Farmer in concert. Also, there are quite a few instructional videos available that have some performance portions - try musicdispatch.com or avguitar.com. If those links don't work, e-mail me and I'll find them again.

I've been looking for videos not available in the U.S. of Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers late '50's, early '60's, and other videos of jazz music from this time originally broadcast on European television or recorded in Europe or Japan. I'd be interested in trading. The problem is that the U.S. and European formats are not compatible and conversion is expensive. Regarding the above bass videos, I believe they are available in PAL format also, the sources I mentioned should be able to confirm for you, they have been friendly and responsive to information requests.

4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Where are you from Chrall?
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

As far as videos of great jazz bassists goes, try contacting Jamey Aebersold. He has a huge catalog of jazz materials, including videos, and if he doesn't what you're looking for, he might be able to get it for you or help out.You can Email him at jazzbooks.com.

Good luck!

6. Aziz

Feb 14, 2001
    On ebay sometimes You can see things like Joni Mitchell live concert 'Shadows and Lights' where plays Jaco.
    If You go to http://www.audiophileimports.com/main.html They have this DVD but your DVD must be multicode player because it is Japanese version.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Not really Jazz or double bass though....but apart from that!

I just ordered a video of Steps Ahead : Live in Copenhagen 1983, with Eddie Gomez - hour-long video from Jazzwise - UK magazine. I am also tempted by the video they mention of Chick Corea's reunion with Stanley Clarke/Lenny White plus Joe Henderson - sounds like it might be a return to "Light as a Feather" days with Stanley on acoustic bass - 500 Miles High, is mentioned as a featured track. Stanley's solo on the original is one of my favourite Jazz double bass solos!
  8. Bruce Lindfield

I did finally get these two videos and I can confirm that the "Chic Corea :Special Concert" has Stanley Clarke on double bass throughout and he plays some amazing stuff - I was very impressed!
  9. I taped the Niels-Henning Örsted-Pedersen concert with Kenny Drew from a Finnish tv broadcast. It features Alvin Queen on drums and as always Niels plays so amazinly well that coupla times Alvin forgets to play when he is listening Niels so intensively....
    A very nice concert indeed, but I don´t like Niels´sound, which is very electric and processed. Almost as he would play an electric upright through a chorus, flanger and some digital delay stuff.