Jazzing up the look of my Peavey Foundation...and what's under that paint?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluebard, May 16, 2017.

1. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Hey bass dudes,

I really like the sound and feel of my Peavey Foundation - especially with a push-pull pot that puts in the pickups in a fat-tone series mode - but I don't really dig the look of it too much. It's a very plain-looking bass, and looks kind of like a starter bass. If it was natural wood, that would be different...but the solid red paint just isn't doing it for me.

It looks pretty similar to this (except my knobs are black):
    ib65yhbfj8fz0guczb0i.jpg

So I'm wondering if y'all have any ideas for jazzing up the look of a bass like this. I'm going to start by putting some Bubinga or Abalone knobs on it... but beyond that, I don't have any ideas that wouldn't involve stripping / and or painting the bass. I dig the look of beat-up old basses, but I'm not into the idea of intentionally relic-ing mine...that would feel kind of cheap.

Does anyone know how the wood looks under the paint of one of these? I love the look of natural wood on a bass... what do you think I'd reveal if I asked a luthier to strip the paint and stain the wood underneath?

Thanks guys! I appreciate any suggestions!

2. Good chance it'll be alder . Least that's what the manual says.

Bluebard likes this.
  3. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Cool, thanks! Any idea of how it might look with the paint stripped?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  4. Hey @Bluebard

I'm pretty certain some folks in the Peavey USA club on TB have stripped Foundations. I'll stick a post up asking and point them in your direction.

Bluebard likes this.
  5. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Thanks kodiakblair, I appreciate it!

6. I've tagged you in the club so hopefully folks will either tag you or contact you direct.
    Always glad to help a fellow Peavey owner :thumbsup:

Bluebard likes this.
  7. I think mine is supposed to be poplar. Either way, not very pretty.

If you are going to the expense of stripping it you could go a step further and plane off the top 1/4 inch and glue on a fancy top or glue on a thin veneer and hide the edged with a burst finish. You could also just use the body to make templates and build a new body at that point. These ideas would make sense if you did the work yourself and enjoyed it, not so much if you hire someone.

Garret Graves and Bluebard like this.
  8. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    You da man!

9. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Hmmm... I will probably avoid this idea then. Thanks for letting me know what to expect!

10. Here courtesy of Google we have a few photos. Don't look too shabby I think :D
    Foundation 1.JPG Foundation 2.JPG foundation-bob.jpg foundation-dark.jpg
    Possible the stained one is the same bass. But heck it looks nice so why not post it twice:laugh:

11. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    These are quite beautiful...the natural finish almost looks stock. But I'd love if my Foundation looked like this underneath.

12. Here's another one, could be the light or choice of stain but I'm with you the natural is the winner so far.
    Second thoughts it's the knobs on this, would be better plain chrome.
    Foundation 4.jpg

Chuter and Bluebard like this.
  13. Looks like padouk to me. I wonder if this is one where someone made a replacement body?

Bluebard likes this.
  14. The only way to find out what's under the paint is to strip it.
    It sounds like it could well be Alder.
    Not a very grainy wood, but not ugly either.
    Some pieces may look interesting, others boring.
    I like my natural alder P just fine.
    Be prepared to find a multi piece body.
    They work just fine under solid color paint
    that are never expected to show the wood.
    It may or may not be well matched where the pieces join.
    If you strip it and decide it needs to have paint hide that wood
    then you'll need to have some plan to repaint in a color more to your tastes.

Garret Graves, Bluebard and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. Morse_77

Morse_77

Nov 5, 2014
    I had the same model Peavey Foundation years ago. I am no handyman, not by a long shot, but the paint was easy to remove with a heat gun. The alder (or poplar?) body was kinda plain but better IMO than the original white. Mine was one piece of wood.
    A bit of sanding and that was it.
    I played it like that for years.
    I finally sold it to a guy who just loved the natural color.
    I would probably do the same thing now and use some tinted wood oil finish to "jazz it up".

Bluebard likes this.
  16. Bluebard likes this.
  17. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    I see what you mean about the red. It's my favorite color, but I'm not digging it on your bass too much. There's something toy-like about it.

Bluebard likes this.
  18. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    I like to see cherry red with a TON of gloss. Like it almost looks like the finish on a tricked out muscle car or something. This red just doesn't quite have that hue or level of sheen. That's what it is for me.

Bluebard likes this.