1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jazzpublications project basses on ebay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gscroggin, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I find it kind of strange that you can't see the whole headstock in any of the pics .... wonder what's up with that?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I thought about them, but didn't like the cut off headstocks either. I suppose it is a normal ebay tactic, but the same pics are used for later auctions. Don't care for that either. Some of the spalted bodies look cool, but I was afraid the necks would be squirrely. Pass.

3. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    I agree on the spalted bodies. Having a back up 5 string fretless with a spalted top for $200 and change would be cool...but not if the neck is sideways :)

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If I pulled the trigger, I would only use Lollar pups and good strings. After CTS pots, bridge, and control plate, I'd have closer to $500 in it. Decent price for a parts bass, but still a pass on that neck! If you can build one for $200, I'd say go for it, and give us a report!!

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Some of 'em also have odd pickup placements- did anyone notice the J body with a single MM pickup-near the NECK? I gotta say though- I'm liking the 4 string P bass with the P-MM pickup config. Thats the same style I have on my Clement custom.

If I had the extra scratch, I'd consider taking a shot at one but it looks like we have to help my father pay off his tax bill- poor guy owes federal AND state income tax!! Aint it great to retire and think you have a decent pension to live on?:meh:

6. gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Good point. For that money, I'd probably just get a Brubaker Brute.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think they look interesting, but I just don't have a need at this time.

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I bought two. I got a red J/MM body, with maple FB, bridge and tuners for $90+shipping on 'bay, and then a blue MM-in-the-neck-position, maple FB body/neck, tuners but no bridge, for $65+ship. Thus far, I have the red one. Truss rod is tight. Spacing is pretty tight, like the SX stuff. Overall quality is a step or two above the SX, IMHO. I had a pair of Wilkenson J pickups. The neck P/U dropped into the red one. Looks like the blue one's MM will live in the red one too, and the blue one will become the "one of these days" bass....

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The headstock thing is just too much for me. Couldn't convince me to touch 'em. Call me overly suspicious, but that's no coincidence.

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Not sure I follow. The headstocks are not the best, but there is no conspiracy. Just another ugly not-at[all fender looking thing on which to mount the tuners

11. gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Having recently played a Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe 5 String at a local music shop (just happened to stop by), I think it's the best deal going for the money these days.

12. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Maybe the headstocks are too much like Fender 'stocks? Fender could get uppity at that.

13. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    I got one a while back. 5-string jazz config.

The hardware is all Wilkinson. How much hardware is included seems to vary from listing to listing. I actually ended up with one more pup than was listed on the auction.

I was reasonably pleased with what I got. The thing you have to realize is it's more like you're getting someone's half-completed project, rather than a pristine kit. So for example, the neck heel on mine was scratched up, kinda dented, and has what looks like simplified Chinese in blue ballpoint. It's inside the neck pocket, not a big deal, but not what you'd expect from a proper parts outlet like USACG or Warmoth. On the other hand, I got almost all of a bass for half the price of a Warmoth neck. And all I needed was a jazz plate and wiring bits.

The remaining issue for mine is to get the bridge pup (which I wasn't expecting to be included) out and reinstalled properly. Whoever put it in screwed it all the way to the bottom of the cavity, so it's too low, and it's wedged in tighter than a <censored>.

The finish is finished, glossy, decent. The spalted top feels like it's paper thin, looks ok but not luxurious. I guess I feel that way about the hardware, too.

The B string impresses me, I guess cuz I went into it thinking it'd be weak. I put on Elixirs. The Wilkinson pickups that came with it are fine (well, the bridge one is weak but it's ~1/4" too far from the strings).

The headstock. I hadn't really thought much about it. It's definitely Fender-inspired, but not at all close to looking like a Fender. I don't do pix on the internet, altho I kinda remember there's some FAQ about how to do it... Hopefully someone will put one up.

14. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    This says it. Prior to joining talkbass, I hadn't really thought much about headstocks. FWIW the one I got, the headstock is plain, no stickers or logo or anything.

And yep, it holds the tuners. :cool:

15. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Not bad prices..

16. So how does the neck play? Quality wise, would it stack up against a MIM Fender neck, or better/worse? For the price, I'd like to grab one of these and a nice set of Seymour Duncan pups and have a great backup bass. I own an old P-bass and a MIM Jazz right now, so it'd be fun to build something in another pickup configuration.

17. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    The neck seems flat to me. I don't know the actual radius.

This 5er is for my son. The neck is thinner than his other 5 string (a Traben). Seems pretty typical to me.

Of all the parts, I thought the neck was the best in terms of looks and feel. It has the fresh look of unstained clear maple with satin finish. The fretwork is good. 1 3/4" wide at the nut. Strings are 2 3/4" at the bridge (so 11/16" spacing).

Quality vs a Fender... With my n=1 of each, I think it's as good or better than a MIM. My MIM neck's rather beaten up. :rolleyes: Except when I opened the jazzpublications up and found the heel was blemished, almost looks like it was dropped on concrete, and it has the Chinese writing on it. Put back on, it's invisible.

Oh yeah, when I got it, it was as if the truss rod had never been turned yet. So it took me a few tries to get the relief right.

In sum, it's all pretty ok. No way could I get all the parts for the price they charge on these (finished neck, finished body, tuners, string tree, neck plate, pickguard, bridge, strap buttons, 2 pickups).

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020