Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JazzTimes Al DiMeola review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by leanne, Jan 11, 2003.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Anyone see the DiMeola letter to the editor in the january JazzTimes? His cd flesh on flesh received a pretty harsh review. DiMeola wrote a nasty letter in response, attacking the reviewer in a pretty immature way. Now, the dude may be way off the mark, I haven't heard it, but even so, I think the way DiMeola responded was pretty unprofessional... I would never, ever do that. Wow...

(you can read the review here: http://www.jazztimes.com/reviews/ReviewAction.cfm?CDID=9920)

Here's what he said:
    (someone posted this in a message in rec.music.bluenote, i don't have the actual magazine)

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, if that review is authentic, it only bolsters my negative opinion of DiMeola - I always thought he was pompous. That, and all he knows how to play are harmonic minor scales at blazing speeds.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Downbeat gave this album 4 stars. I like Al's earlier World Sinfonia albums (when he had a bandoneon instead of a piano), but his formula is starting to wear a little thin.

One man's caviar is another man's salty fish eggs.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have yet to get an Al DiMeola album that I really like. I have that cd (Which I bought because AJ is the bassist) and all DiMeola does is play fast runs and triplet flamenco strums. That's the range of his technique.

Wow, at any rate, that's a pretty harsh reply. You'd think he'd be above that stuff.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tell us how you really feel, Al.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice cover on that new DiMieola album!

As I mentioned just the other day on a different thread-
    When Mr. Gone was released, DownBeat awarded it ONE star...a couple issues later, WR was allowed a rebuttal. Joe & Jaco went off, too. It was great! ;)

FWIW-
    DiMieola hasn't always floated my boat, either.
    I do have my share of his '70s Fusion stuff(mainly 'cause of Jaco & Anthony).

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The DiMeola e-mail reminds me of some comments he made in an interview in Jazziz magazine about ten years ago. He was extremely critical of "smooth jazz" expressing his disdain in a similar manner. For some reason I never forgot the interview because it left such a negative impression about the guitarist on me.

For me, I think musicians should stick together, not make divisive comments about those who choose to play other styles, whether it be polka or reggae or smooth jazz or children's music or whatever.

Now DiMeola takes on a music critic. On the one hand, I feel that goes with the territory of being a critic. If you put your criticisms of a Cd in a publication, you have to be prepared to have your opinions questioned by those who disagree with yours.

On the other hand, in DiMeola's case, I am reminded of Shakespeare who once said, "Me thinks thou dost protest too much." Why does DiMeola go so overboard in such a rude manner.? Does he feel no one has a right or a reason to not like the great DiMeola's work? He could have written a polite response to the criticism. He would have seemed so much more "reasonable." But the fact is, either someone likes your music or they do not. Not every one will like all your music.

It seems unbecoming to act like a spoiled brat having a temper tantrum because someone dared to criticize one's music. Why be an immature hothead when it is common knowledge that there is just no accounting for taste in music? If DiMeola can't behave, the better way for him would be for him to just ignore the critic...and hope his record is a huge financial success which would be the very best revenge against an inept critic.