Jazzwise - they do still exist, yeah?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Hey,
    I ordered the Bass Day '98 DVD 2 weeks ago. I paid £21.50 for the DVD, and £3.50 for postage (how much do envelopes cost these days? The bike company I'm sponsored by sent me a free stem at 5:30pm last night and it got through my door this morning, for God's sake!), and that was 2 weeks ago. Now, being curious as to why the hell my DVD isn't in my DVD player being watched riiiiight now, I decided to call them up.

Go to website to find phone number - but no, the website's gone.

They are still around, yeah?

Thanks for any help...

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i take you paid with your card? if so, call the credit card company and talk to them about it.

3. Yeah, I was thinking of doing that but I don't wanna mess about if it's just that they're a bit slow or something. I spoke to someone before who's had good experiences with them so I don't think they're a bunch o' cowboys or anything, but we'll see...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You had me worried there!! :eek:

Their number is :
    0845 345 7027

I phoned to see what was happening and they said that they had "temporary meltdown" on their server - they had techie people on it and it should be back up by next Monday!!

I couldn't live without JazzWise!! ;)
  5. ...and relax :p

Thanks very much for finding that out for me!

Thanks also for the phone number. Sorry for the minutes I shortened your life by by scaring you with that ;)

6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Home-made, I'd just been thinking about resurrecting that Bass Day DVD thread to see which one you'd bought!

Let me know what you think of it when it turns up.

PS. Bruce, have you got the Rufus Reid instructional DVD yet? I was thinking of ordering the book/DVD combo. Not sure how advanced the material is though.
  7. Hey David,
    I only read your opinion on which was best after I'd got my Mum to place the order (she's the only one with a credit card, so I gave her the money and so on...), so I ended up going for the Bass Day 98 DVD itself just to get a more diverse range of styles. I'm not hugely fond of Victor Wooten's stuff, really. I mean yeah he's a great bassist, but it just seems... I dunno, you know how you just don't get moved by some music by others? It's like that. I recognise he's a great technician and so on, but he just never did it for me fully, and also 'cos I'm still in my formative years in terms of actually hearing other bassists (we live in a very sheltered place here in mid Wales ;)), so I thought I'd try and get the best mix.

I'll letcha know what I think of it (when it actually gets here!!!).

Thanks for your help before,

8. Bruce Lindfield

No - Jon Pacman, said he was getting this in January and would say what it contained, beyond the Book - so I was going to wait.

You both should come to the Jazz Sumerschool in Glamorgan this year - Howard K is coming - we could have a Talkbass, Jazz get-together!! :)
  9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I haven't forgotten Bruce!
  10. Bruce Lindfield

It was more "Home-Made"'s mention of how sheltered Wales is, in terms of hearing other bassists, that made me think of this!! ;)

Cardiff has a Jazz society that puts on gigs - Paula Gardiner is very good DB player and composer who teaches there and on the Summerschool. Last time I talked to her, I heard she was getting a 5-string BG, custom-made for her!! :)
  11. Hey hey hey kids, guess who's DVD dropped onto his hall floor today only, ooh, a month after I ordered it :p

Was most definitely worth the wait. "Sugar" by Michael Manring is just awesome. It's a super good DVD, made me realise there's a whole load of ways to play bass, so thanks for the recommendations!

Anyhoo, this Jazz Summerschool in Glamorgan - what's the deal with that? What sorta cost? Times? Days? Any more info?

Ta very much.

Mark (the information whore).
  12. Bruce Lindfield

It's over two weeks at the end of July - you can go for one or two weeks. Each week starts on the Sunday afternoon evening where you fidn out what group you are in - get to meet people and hear about what's happening.

Then it's Monday to Friday - working with small groups and a tutor or with instrumental tutors, during the day - jam sessions in the lat afternoon early evening - then eaxch night there is a "Jazz Club" in the student union bar where you get to play - the tutors also play, with an audience of all the rest of the people on Summerschools (e.g. the photography students end up taking photos!!) 08.30 - 12.00/12.30.

I always get accommodation there - it's very sociable, 6 flats round a shared kitchen and including tuition and accommodation it's about £250 a week - my cheapest and best-value holiday of the year!! ;)

It's always over-subscribed - but you can book early, with a small deposit - I like it, as it is mostly about playing with small groups - others I've heard about, do things like actually sitting down and studying theory!! :eek:

But this one is all about meeting other people and playing Jazz with them!! Great fun!! :)
  13. Hmm, I'd love to come but I'm saving up for a new rig at the moment (I really, really need one 'cos we've got gigs in the summer and I can't keep borrowing the school's 125W combo...), so I might not be able to afford it, even though I really wanna go...

Well, I'll get back to you about it!

14. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm glad that your DVD finally turned up.

Re. jazz summerschool - Do you take amplification with you? I ask because I only have a 30w combo at the moment. It's okay for practising, given that I rarely play outside my bedroom these days, but I don't think it will cut it in a live situation, even a small jazz combo. :meh: