1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JB Deluxe MiM vs. Highway One MiA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zeravshan, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Zeravshan

Zeravshan

Jan 19, 2012
    hi, i'm finally replacing my crappy old ibanez, the two best options i've found so far are the basses mentioned above, which one would you advice me to get? both are used, but in a really great shape, the Mim Deluxe would cost me about 600$, the MiA Highway one 650$ (just approx, i'm buying in euros).

2. if it were my $$$, I'd get the Highway One

3. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Highway 1

4. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    That's 3 for the Highway 1

5. Zeravshan

Zeravshan

Jan 19, 2012
    really, is the hw1 that much better?? i mean there are some obvious advanteages, but i was thinking the active deluxe would have more variability and punch, and the MiM got some nice reviews, too.

6. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I had a deluxe jazz too many knobs to tinker with, go with the simple beast!

7. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    I owned a HWY 1 Jazz & currently own a MIM Jazz Deluxe.
    I think the HWY 1 is the same as a std MIM jazz except for the MIA & higher price (mine was a pre BadA$$.) The neck is the main thing I found lacking the MIA quality. The neck is the same as a MIM & Not nearly as good as MIA or MIJ. Fit, finnish, neck, body,pups, tuners all the same as MIM. Now the MIM Deluxe I have I feel has better fit, finnish, & pups than the MIM std's I have had (including a factory fresh 09' std jazz). I think the HWY 1 series is a MIM with a higher price tag & Made in USA on the head. I feel the MIM Deluxe is a top 10% MIM quality so no better just more consistant quality.

Side note I a/b'd a MIA JP-90 form the 90's to a Squire infinnity series jazz from china 09' & the infinnity blew the JP-90 away on all comparisons IMO, so MIA does not always mean best quality from Fender.
    So really if the are the same price I would play both & go with your gut. The big question would be active or passive?

8. Zeravshan

Zeravshan

Jan 19, 2012
    yeah, i'd kinda go for less is more, but i've got a reason i'm considering the deluxe. what i need is: a good punchy plectrum sound, think joy division/early cure style + a nice round, warm, deep, finger-picked jazzy tone + a fretless-kinda full-mid tone. will i be able to get all of this from the highway 1? (off course i like to get a bit funky and slappy sometimes, but not with my band, so that's not crucially important.)

9. Zeravshan

Zeravshan

Jan 19, 2012
    thank you, that was a great reply, i didn't believe either that the HW1 could be so much better. guess i'll really have to give them both a try. never had an active one before, could be interesting.

10. MIMs are hit and miss. Highway Ones not.

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    That certainly isn't the case with my 2010 Highway One.
    The neck is the exact same as the American Standard with graphite reinforcements, and one of the best I've ever played.
    Actually, the only difference between it and the MIA Standard is the badass bridge and the thin nitro paint job. And the greasebucket tone thing...mine has a regular tone setup now. It's also the lightest jazz I've ever played.
    I don't have any real-world experience with the Deluxe, but the newer Highway One's (not the Hwy 1's) are one of the best deals Fender put out in a long time...I wish they would have continued them.

Edit: I forgot to mention the tuners on the Highway One are different than those one the American Standard, too.

12. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    +1

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would take a bit of issue with that. Every MIM Deluxe Active Jazz I have played was a very good bass for the money. The Hwy 1 is a fine bass, but not necessarily as consistant as an American Standard would be.

14. Some high-end MIMs are pretty good. But it's pretty easy to do the hit-and-miss testing by going to a good music store and test all MIM Fenders and MIA Fenders they have in stock. And yes if you find a MIM Fender that you like, then it was a hit! Not that I prefer Highway Ones myself.

15. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    yeah my HWY 1 was one of the first before the Bada$$. Good to hear they improved the line.

16. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought when I started playin with my fingers I needed an active bass. After yrs of fighting pre amps & batteries I have decided they are just not for me. Mixing passive & active basses with the same amp can be challenging in a live situation so I would consider the amp/amps you will use when choosing active or passive