Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JB Player 5-string Acoustic-Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    http://www.bass-guitar.biz/store/product.asp?sku=MC.JBEAB4000&nav=m

Have any of you ever played this bass, or another made by JB Player? Is it any good?

I have been looking for a 5 string acoustic/electric bass, and this is the least expensive one I have found. Is it so inexpensive because it is a POS, or is it just a REALLY good deal?

Any thoughts?

Nick

2. My lead guitarrist says JBP is the most underrated maker of inexpensive instruments. That's his opinion, 'cause I have also asked your question.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks. I guess that is a good sign. Have you ever played one yourself?

bump by the way

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    bump

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I played a JBP (4-string) a few weeks back and was really impressed with the sound of these things. 'Bout the best tone I've heard in an accoustic!
    Didn't get a chance to try it "plugged in".

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    cool!! thanks!! That's another vote for yes...

I think I will be getting this bass soon... (and if I don't like it, it is only $300, so it isn't THAT much of a loss... and I can sell it for a really good price)

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    When you get it, tell me what you think. I want an acoustic/electric too!

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    YES! Please p[ost pics and a review when you get it. I'd love a 5 string fretless acoustic but I have a low budget right now. For $300 and a defret job I could have what I want for a very low price. I've never seen another 5 string acoustic/electric in this price range. I know it won't have the boom boom of my Tacoma but it won't have the price either, and I'll be happy to have it as an electric.

9. Inferis22

Inferis22

May 11, 2010
    I've played a 4 string JBP too. They're amazing basses. Especially plugged in. The EQ provides a bit of room to work with,but you're looking at a nice warm tone for the most part. I would love to have owned it. Too bad I haven't been able to find another one since.