Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JB Player Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. X, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    USA
    Does anyone have any experience with JB Player basses? I played a Artist series 5 string and it was quite impressive.

2. Shifty Bill Richards

Shifty Bill Richards

Mar 19, 2015
    I own two J B Player basses. The one I like the best is an Artist Series 5 string that I converted to a 6 string. I've searched high and low for another one like it. If anyone knows of one for sale, please email me or post a message.

Attached Files:

3. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    According to wiki:

Hondo (guitar company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, that's somewhat interesting, at least to me.

I am not familiar with JB Player instruments (although I had my share of Hondo stuff prior to 1985!)

Just going on a loose assumption here, but I reckon their products run the gamut. For instance, I have played some recent "offshore" brands like Indiana, Jay Turser, Stagg, etc. where some instruments I've tried out are really fine players, some are decent, and some are boat anchors.

In other words, QC may be inconsistent and some models may have better specs than others, etc. Maybe a case of "try before you buy" if at all possible.

And to clarify-- I am NOT knocking JB Player, Turser, Stagg, etc. products. I happen to be a big booster of cheap gear.

4. Shifty Bill Richards

Shifty Bill Richards

Mar 19, 2015
    You're right about QC. Maybe I just got lucky with my two JB Player basses (and I changed the soap bar pickup in one of them to Fender Jazz pickups.) I joined this forum in my quest for that other Artist 5 string. I don't think they made many of them.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Gypsy Caravan
    ^^^ Yeah, one of my favorite basses I've owned was a cheap (inexpensive, more accurately) Jay Turser JTB-401, which was a copy of the 1954 SC P bass.

Aside from some neck dive, it was a really fun, really sweet player. The pickup was amazing. I still kick myself for parting with it, and they've been out of production for a few years now.

For an "off-brand" low-level mass-importer, they managed to get this model "right." You can still read a boatload of positive reviews of this thing.

Cost me all of $129 new.

You just never know.

Shifty Bill Richards likes this.