Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

jbass neck PU that cuts like a pbass PU

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smarvelous, Sep 22, 2004.

1. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    First a disclaimer, I have done a lot of searching through the threads and have read a lot about the various PU's available. But, I apologize if this feels like deja vu to you...

The problem: My jbass copy (w/bart single coils and preamp) as well as my Modulus Q5 don't cut through the mix well in certain rehearsal spaces that I play regularly in (the lows sort of "melt" away and lose their punch and impact). I've tried many different types of strings and amps with both basses and they helped little. :bawl:

So, one day I borrowed a friends MIM Pbass which I tried through my rig in the same space and it cut much better. :bassist:

So, I'm thinking this is partly due to the humbucking PU on the pbass. And I would like to convert the jbass (which has flatwounds on it) to something like the Dimarzio Model J's to go for a punchy cutting old school tone.

Am I on the right track?

thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, you're thinking along the right lines. There's a couple of things you could try.

1) Series/parallel mod with your single coil pups. It'll give you a beefier, more P-Like tone when in series mode.

2) Beefier pups like the Model Js you mentioned, or other ones like SD hot stacks, SD 1/4 pounders. I wouldn't call the Model J's old school though.

3. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Just a little more info... I play salsa and latin jazz, so think fania all stars with bobby valentin (who played a gibson eb-3, i think). But I also play jazz, r&b, brazilian. I have the modulus for a more polished sound, the jazz with flats (thumpy dean markley flats) will be for going to battle in challenging rooms ;)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Aforementioned sound good. If you've tried different strings I assume that followed acoustic options like, eq'ing, different positoning/location on stage, whatever. Some Bart singles can get real dark in series although I haven't found them to have the punch of the Bart P I have.

5. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Yes. I've tried different neck/bridge pickup blends, eq'ing, and I even have a gramma pad to isolate from the floor/stage. I think the pure fundamental lows that my two basses get don't work well in these rooms. I hear the Pbass as being rich in low mids that have a lot of thickness and character that tends to cut through better. Some of the strings I have tried have improved the situation (Rotosound black nylon wrapped strings added lots of low mid character, but they had a lot of unpleasant overtones and were too low tension for my taste).

I'm leaning toward the Model J's. I'm concerned that the series mod will be involved (I currently have a bartolini active preamp) and then may not give me what I want.

I appreciate your informative posts!

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Inside of a J shape neck pickup I've found the split coil setup sounds more like a Pbass than single coil, stacked or quad coil. This makes sense because it also shares with a Pbass the 2 coils in series with each string acting on just one coil.

Hope that helps a bit

7. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    What I meant to say is: it was suggested that running my PU's in series would get thicker sound. Currently I have a bart pre with a blend control for the 2 PU's. I am assuming that figuring out how bypass the blend circuit and have the PU's in series via a switch (i.e. be able to switch back to parallel mode when desired) would not be trivial and it might be simpler to just put in the new PU's and be done with it.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

another thing you could do is a temporary rigging. Just wire the switch in between your pups and blend and leave it in the control bay to test to see if it will work for you.

I say this cause I assume you like the tone of the pups you've got except this cutting issue that is isolated to a few specific acoustic situations.

Trying different pups may be the best thing you've ever done but it may also be an endless stream that leads back to what you've got.