Jbass PU upgrade.. terrible buzz now

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by turnermoran, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. turnermoran

turnermoran

Apr 2, 2018
    Hello - I have a 97's Squier Korean JBass that had the following stock stuff:

500k pots, plastic (?) shielded wires, stock PU's, green mystery cap, no cavity shielding, crap input jack.
    But it was quiet as hell. And didn't sound half bad.

I replaced the above with 250k CTS pots, cloth wires from Stew Mac, Fender Custom shop 60's Jazz PU's, Orange drop .47, switchcraft jack. I twisted the PU lead/ground wires based on something I saw on Youtube. I wired it to standard spec. I added ground wires from pot to pot, though I gather it's not important.

Anyway, I did the wiring myself, and I think the solder connections are good.

The buzz however is crazy bad now, and it's grounding buzz I gather; makes the noise with hands off, hands kill most of it.

I have some copper tape on order.. we'll see if that helps.

But is the upgrade in components the explanation? How was the bass so quiet before?

Is it possible I wired to the wrong lugs on the input jack?.. or is that the kind of thing where there would be no sound at all if I had that part backwards?

Thanks

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021