jbl 140 y isnt it loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pencil124, Dec 31, 2003.

1. pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    i recently replaced the speaker of a hartke 115vx with a jbl 140e, it sounds good but it doesnt get loud, i have no clue y, help me!
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    maybe because the cab isn't made for that speker..and the cab might be to small...and if thats the case its not letting the speaker move the way it should..or if its to big it won't move enough air..

3. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    loud (high sensitivity) and low (high excursion) are mutually exclusive. i suppose the JBL 140 leans more towards low than loud. you can always add more speakers to get loud, while you can't always get loud speakers to go low.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, cabs are usually "tuned" to particular speakers, so even an efficient speaker may not sound as loud or as good in a mismatched cab.

The other thing is, are the impedances of the two speakers the same?
  5. The JBL E-140 is a loud driver, not a low one. It is one of THE most efficient 15" made, and will accept the full 200w rated power from 41 Hz and higher. Optimal (QB3) tuning for this driver is 0.94 cubic feet at 72 Hz.

The E140 has no bottom.

As for your problem, my suspicion is you have one that has bee reconed with a non-JBL kit. I bought an E110 from eBay like this, and the difference is night and day with my other E110.
  6. pencil124

Nov 27, 2003
    they are both 8 ohms so thats not the problem and when i mean not loud i dont mean not killer loud i mean i can barly hear it. It is possible to that the "tuning thing may be a problem.
  7. 0.94 cu ft?

The JBL site recommends 4 cu ft. This may not represent optimal tuning according to the T-S parameters.
  8. JBL runs the E140 in an EBS alignment, same as does Avatar with their 2x10 and 4x10 cabs. This extends the bass somewhat, but creates a flabby response compared to what the driver will do in a tighter alignment.

Link to Response

Link to Group Delay
  9. Okay, while the experts discuss TS parameters lets try a different tack... you have TWO speakers in your cabinet, or two cabinets? Could it be a phase problem? I seem to remember that my D140Fs were bass-ackwards to the rest of the world when it came to positive and negative. If you have two speakers in a cab and only one is a JBL it might be out of phase with the other. More info please...
  10. Isn't a 115VX a single 15"?

If not, the point made above is very valid. For years, JBL has been bass-ackwards with driver polarity.

If multiple drivers are installed, the very first check is making sure they all move in the same direction when tested with a battery.