Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL 2225H - Will it work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

How would this driver be in a Mesa 1-15 box??. I know these boxes are kinda small. I have a PV BW in there cause I blew my Kappa Rro 15(Or broke some wires inside). It seems the PV is better in a bigger box. Please excuse my ignorance about TS parameters and such.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The 2225 want's 4 cubic feet to get to 40 hz. Cab specs and TS parameters on the www.jblpro.com website.

3. Rockbobmel

I think that's real close to the Mesa box. It had an EV 15L to start with.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The JBL isn't realy fussy as long as you aren't hitting it with extreme low end. (Read B string with sub 60 hz boost). I have a 2205 in a small box (2 cu ft) and an E140 in a 4 cu ft rear-horn box. And a mix of D and E 140's in JBL branded 4 cu ft cab's.

The JBL cabs sound the best and are easy to build. The small box sounds great but is limited in the volume it can achieve and the depth. It isn't honky, mid-rangey but it lacks the solid punch of the 4 cu ft boxes. Sounds ab fab with my fretless. The 4 ft boxes are killer ... BassNorthwest has one on their website in the Used Amp section if you want a pic.

5. Rockbobmel

I am replacing a 15 driver in my Mesa P1000 which has the 15 compartment isolated from the 10s. So if I get it, it is going in there. I thing it is about 3 or 4 cu ft.

6. Rockbobmel

The Kappa pro 15 was a good driver, but it may have over excursion problems in the Mesa. I can't think of why else it blew. I don't even know when it went.

7. punchclock

punchclock Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    I have (2) JBL E130's reconed as 2225's. And a couple EV TL606 (which the old Mesa 115 boxes were the same design- same as the current Orange 115). Any thoughts on how these drivers will do in these boxes? Any opinions &/or experinece would be appreciated.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Play guitar.
    The 2225H does not have the aluminum dust cap, which gives drivers like the K140, and E140 improved top end. If you were going for that tone, you might be disappointed.

9. punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    The E130's were not necessarily my goal tone.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    IMO, the 2225 is a little smoother. Works really well with a small mid driver also. The 2225 and E140 are otherwise quite similar. Just reconed one for a customer for this purpose.

11. punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    Thanks Agedhorse!

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    In the early Eighties I built a cabinet for a friend. It was designed around an JBL E140 IIRC. He never did put the proper driver into it and years later I got the empty box back. It sat for years in my basement. Recently I joined a new band and wanted a cabinet for the rehearsal spot. I dragged the thing out and dropped a 2205, re-conend to 2225 specs, into it. I was delighted with the results. It handles a low B with ease. I was indeed a happy camper! :D