JBL 2241 for bass guitar sub?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HannibalSpector, Feb 12, 2003.

1. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Would a JBL 18" 2241 be good as a bass guitar sub?
    Does anybody use these?
    How's it sound and what cab(size) is it loaded into?

2. hey, hannibal...i'm using an active mackie subwoofer..an srs 1500 ... under my eden 4x10. the specs state it covers 40 to 120hz. It moves serious air I have to say.

I haven't run a kick drum through it yet, but I plan to - as well as bass.

At this stage what i have seems to cover the bottom end very well.

i cant comment on the speaker your'e hoping to use. Depending on you're experience and budget i'd suggest trying what others in your area/field of sound have tried first off.

No one seems to use this configuration where I live. I presume thats because its been tried and found not to work, or no ones done it before.

i don't care much either way..it sounds good to my ears,

3. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Sounds like you're onto something special. If you like it and it does the job , then that's the important thing.
    If your're going to use a sub , then it may as well be a proper sub too, not a TL box or similar.
    I'm a cheap skate . I thought I'd check around before I spend $100s of dollars on a driver , build a box , then find the speaker too sterile or doesn't really do what I want it to do.
    I'm after something that can take a beating , down to 30 Hz,(crossover down to 100Hzs) that isn't too sterile , that it can't do the mid Hzs well. And it's gotta be cheap.

The speaker I was looking at is here: www.cannonsound.com.au
    click on speakers>components>p audio>speakers> proseries> 600watt 2241.

4. Instead of those expensive 2241's check out some EV DL15W's or DL18W(MT) They are much more musical at all volumes. To me the 2241's have to be pushed hard to get them to sound good and by then it's so loud that you are defeating the purpose of a soundman.
  5. The 2241 is a high Qts driver and requires 8 ~ 10 cubic feet to perform well.

The high Qts is unusual for a JBL, which usually has significantly lower Qts (more cone control). The 2245 is a better choice, but is out of production. They are regularly for sale on eBay, but not cheap.

For 18" drivers, consider the Eminence Magnum 18LF, the Fane 18B-600, and the B&C 18-PS-46. The Adire Maelstrom isn't quite as efficient, but goes down far lower, should you need more of a subwoofer type driver.
  6. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I'm deciding to go with less wattage than 2241(600watts).
    I found some EVs and other similar drivers today , I'm considering.
    I agree that the EVs are more musical sounding than JBLs , plus I have a TL box for an 18" EV.