Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JBL 2x15 for bass????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handlax14, Aug 22, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    hey at one of my local shops i found a 2x15 jbl cab rated at 400watts and the owner told me that it would work as a bass cab and im sure it would but has ne one ever heard of this before?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, it's called a "Fender Dual Showman" ;)

...(one of my first guitarists had a Dual Showman with two JBL 15's)

The info that concerns me most is what kind of cab the speakers are housed in - in other words, was it built for a bass guitar??? If the speakers are in a PA cab, like a Voice of the Theater, you may not like the sound at all.

Even in a Fender cab, I wasn't too fond of the sound of JBL 15's for bass guitar compared to something like today's high end Eminence or the PAS that SWR uses.

Just try before you buy. The salesperson saying it "would work as a bass cab" isn't the same thing as saying it "would work very well as a bass cab."

3. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    yeah thanx. i went to look at it again today and i saw that it was housed in a crate cab. it was meant as a bass cab and it sounded ok but the owner decided to mark it up another $150!!!!!!! i dont know where he gets off doing that but now im liek forget it im going for avatar!!! lol im trying to get dave to build me a custom 2x15 cab with kappa 15LF's. hopefully he will

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The guys who make the cabs for Dave make them in lots of 100 so he wouldn't be able to do that. I think he will customize the speaker if you want a different speaker.

5. The Kappa 15LF is a perfect match for the Avatar full size B115 cabinet. Tuning should be 39 Hz, and this gives an F3 (-3dB) of 39 Hz also. Perfect for a 4-stringer.