1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

JBL C56 Dorian Bass Cab Project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bk2mono, Apr 9, 2009.

1. I have a pair of JBL C56 Dorian speakers that are in need of repair, but I don't need another set of home speakers so these will make up a new 2X14 setup.

Picks before work begins...

Beautiful wood grill.

1x14 JBL Speaker coned 5 years ago. Horn tweeter will be removed (I'll explain later.

I'll be taking them apart today. Progress pics to follow

2. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Why are you taking this route? There are lots of JBL collectors so you could put them on eBay (or gut them and sell the parts) and then buy drivers more suited for the application. Maybe you like the LE14:s for bass, though? I'm just curious :)

3. I suppose because I like the cabs and don't want to part with them. They are also beat up. The original feet for the cabs were removed from a prior installation and the marble tops got smashed/cracked in a coast to coast move, not to mention that the wood sides are scraped up a bit. I suspect the value of the boxes are close to nothing to a collector. The crossovers are also shot making the horns nonfunctional. I may sell the horns later if I find no reason to hang on to them. Replacement of the speakers is a possibility if they don't give me a good sound.

4. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ok. As for the crossovers, chances are that all that is needed is cleaning of the L-pads and terminals, see LX10 repair. If that doesn't do the trick, it should be pretty easy to replace potentially dried-out caps.

IIRC the LE14 starts to roll off around 1.5 kHz, so you might want to get the LE175DLH:s working ;) BTW, the folks over at Lansing Heritage are nice, should you need trouble shooting assistance.

5. My bet is also on the pots as they were cutting out when last used. I'll repair the crossover if I decide to put the horns back in. I plan to hang onto all the parts if I want to reverse the process.

Thanks for the great info. You know your JBL:eek:

6. Removed the damaged marble...

Edges are sharp...

Parts come out...

The horns will not be used and the holes covered. 10 lbs saved on each cab.

The crossovers are not needed and require repair so out they go.

Sanded top ready for some fresh black paint.

7. So I finished up the cabs and I am very happy with the results. They were an out of use set of speakers that now have a new life. Plugged them in at the rehearsal space and was blown away. I expected them to not be tuned very well for bass guitar, but they exceeded my expectations and sound fantastic.

New wood top (and bottom) panels painted in flat black.
    P1010639.

Input jacks where the crossover used to be (wired parallel).
    P1010638.

Recessed Handles.
    P1010640.

The completed set.
    P1010643.

Cheers.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Nice job.

I used a pair of JBL LE 15 drivers in separate enclosures made to JBL specs for bass for a number of years. Not very efficient speakers but they had a nice warm sound. I drove the pair with a Dynaco MKIII 60 watt tube power amp.

I burned the voice coil out on one of them on a gig and had it reconed, then sold the pair and bought D140s when they came out.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sad, very sad indeed! You do realize that these are home Stereo speakers and probably will not last too long with a bass going through them?

Paul

10. Why be a hater Paul? Try to be a more positive.:hyper:

Cheers

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i think that they look pretty darn cool. especially if you played a gig in someone's living room, or a somewhat 'formal' stage setting. ( often people open their houses up for live concerts around here).

IMO, its better to get some use out of them than to let them just sit around and rot.

12. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Personally Mono I DO wish you well with them. I just don't like seeing something abused when there are so many folk out there that would have loved to buy those from you and see them restored to their original glory. Far too much vintage gear gets destroyed by folk who have no real appreciation of what they have in their possession. Such is life and you are free to do as you choose.

Paul

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    to some extent i have to agree with you Paul. those would've made some pretty cool home stereo speakers at my house.

14. I have a 1950's bakelite Rickenbacker lap steel I plan on turning into an ashtray.;)

Stay tuned....

15. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    No thank you!

Paul

16. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    My first instrument! Last I saw of it was 18 years ago in a pawn shop. Mine would have been from 1950 or earlier. I had an amp to go with it with one of those speakers with an electromagnet and an all steel cabinet. It probably put out about 7 watts. But those were tube watts. :)