1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JBL Cabaret Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by motleystew, Dec 3, 2006.

1. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    :help: I have an 18 inch speaker from a JBL Cabaret Series 1X18 enclosure. The cone is busted. how would I go about getting it re-coned? Would it be worth it?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can call around or search the internet for reconing services. I'm sure you could get it reconed. It was designed to work in the Cabaret series cabinet, or the cabinet was designed to match that speaker. As a stand alone electic bass speaker, even in a properly matched cabinet, you will probably be disappointed with the lack of high end. As part of a bi-amped system, it might be useful.

I've never liked 18" speakers for bass myself. Just too muddy for me.

3. Orange County Speaker Repair

These guys are good at what they do, and handle all the JBL stuff.

Note that factory recone kits for JBL are much more expensive than the after market kits. IMO, you get what you pay for, and that is still a JBL after the recone job.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It won't be cheap recone, but you'd end up with a very nice and relatively efficient little sub cab. :cool:

5. We've had a couple of these 18JBL's knocking around our band workshop. They came from another band we know who blew them. After shopping around and checking out costs it just didn't make sense to get someone to re-cone. The costs weren't that short of 2 new chassis. It's one thing to cost in labor on a production line but once it's a one off , the costs of a rebuild don't add up.

Good luck searching for someone though, maybe you'll find someone who'll do it for the experience rather than the profit.